"Deep Ice 4" Chess Engine Release Notes..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

"Deep Ice 4" Chess Engine Release Notes..

Post by supersharp77 »

"It's been a while since iCE 3 was released in 2016. It was the outcome of several years of developing, testing and tuning. It played at a reasonable strength and had almost all features a chess engine should have. It missed only one feature that was asked about a lot, the ability to use more than 1 core for the calculation.

Sometimes it seemed that people cared more about this feature than actual strength. *iCE was never allowed to play into the Top Chess Engine Championship (TCEC)* although it was stronger than most of the participating engines. Maybe to save some 32 core engines from embarressment being beaten by a single core one (not that I actually care about that).

As an engine author I was not really interested in this feature as it is just means the engine calculates faster instead of smarter. But as all the other engines supported it, it felt more and more like a missing feature. So I decided that iCE 4 will support multi processor calculation, although this required a rewite of some vital parts of the engine."

"It is done now and iCE can call itself now Deep iCE."

http://macechess.blogspot.com/

http://www.fam-petzke.de/cp_ice_en.shtml

We Love Ice...Welcome Deep Ice 4!! :) :wink:
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Re: "Deep Ice 4" Chess Engine Release Notes..

Post by dannyb »

thanks! hopefully we'll see Ice in the next TCEC season then
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

I know this is a little off topic, but will you make the Shaker GUI availbe for download. Also thank for the new update to ice.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

AdminX wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22 am I know this is a little off topic, but will you make the Shaker GUI availbe for download. Also thank for the new update to ice.
Whom are you talking too, Ted?

Thomas Petzke the author hasn't posted here for long. You can PM him, if he does not post here.
search.php?author_id=5688&sr=posts
The 'supersharp' guy (ignore list for various reasons) just has recycled (as always and in several fora) old news.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69754&start=360#p815164

The new engine releases are always reported by me in one thread (year) to find them easily again in the future.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Thanks Guenther! I thought 'Supersharp" was Thomas Petzke. :oops:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."