ChessBase Engine Database Loading

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Re: ChessBase Engine Database Loading

Post by Stephen Ham »

Cumnor wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 am You can add games to another database by uploading the database into fitz as a new database then copying the games in that database to a different database. Here is the help file explaining this http://help.chessbase.com/Fritz/16/Eng/index.html Reference>Database functions>Copying Games.

Thanks Cumnor,

Unfortunately I think you misunderstand the situation. Those instructions are to copy an existing database into another. That's not my issue.

Again, the issue is just getting my games into the chess engine's database in the first place.

I emailed ChessBase technical support last Friday but have heard nothing. So, I called ChessBase USA, an online store. A gentleman there says he'll try to see if he can add games to his CB engine database. I'm to call him tomorrow. Since he was unsure if he could do it with the latest CB engine GUI, this suggests that Carl may be correct - the game database is an afterthought for the engine and CB now wants to force consumers to purchase their database, a database that comes without any instructions.

I hope that's incorrect. Sill, I'm shocked that nobody here, in a message-board for chess gamers, can confirm one way or the other whether games can be added to the current CB engine game-database. If they can, then please tell me how.

Thanks in advance.
-Steve-
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:12 pm
Cumnor wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 am You can add games to another database by uploading the database into fitz as a new database then copying the games in that database to a different database. Here is the help file explaining this http://help.chessbase.com/Fritz/16/Eng/index.html Reference>Database functions>Copying Games.

Thanks Cumnor,

Unfortunately I think you misunderstand the situation. Those instructions are to copy an existing database into another. That's not my issue.

Again, the issue is just getting my games into the chess engine's database in the first place.

I emailed ChessBase technical support last Friday but have heard nothing. So, I called ChessBase USA, an online store. A gentleman there says he'll try to see if he can add games to his CB engine database. I'm to call him tomorrow. Since he was unsure if he could do it with the latest CB engine GUI, this suggests that Carl may be correct - the game database is an afterthought for the engine and CB now wants to force consumers to purchase their database, a database that comes without any instructions.

I hope that's incorrect. Sill, I'm shocked that nobody here, in a message-board for chess gamers, can confirm one way or the other whether games can be added to the current CB engine game-database. If they can, then please tell me how.

Thanks in advance.
-Steve-
You can use your old DVD of Fritz11 i think. Just buy an external usb DVD drv, then connect to your new PC's usb port.
Maybe use another laptop then copy the Fritz11 DVD to your USB pendrive then install on your new PC.
Not sure if copying to another drive (as backup) is still legal in your country. But there is also this free program called Scid. Good database application too (one i am using), but you cannot use your latest CB engines there in Scid.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

MikeGL wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:00 am
Stephen Ham wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks Cumnor,

Thanks in advance.
-Steve-
You can use your old DVD of Fritz11 i think. Just buy an external usb DVD drv, then connect to your new PC's usb port.
Maybe use another laptop then copy the Fritz11 DVD to your USB pendrive then install on your new PC.
Not sure if copying to another drive (as backup) is still legal in your country. But there is also this free program called Scid. Good database application too (one i am using), but you cannot use your latest CB engines there in Scid.
Hi Mike,

Yes, copying my old Fritz 11 program onto my external hardrive and then loading it into my new PC seems my only option. Unfortunately, that means that the latest iterations of CB engines truly no longer have game databases that can be updated. That also means that CB has taken away a vital function from their products without telling us clients.

ChessBase's tech-support has also failed to email me back about this situation, since Friday.

Sincerely,
-Steve-