Laptop for Leela

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

viditchess

Laptop for Leela

Post by viditchess »

Hello Everyone!
I am considering buying a new laptop with RTX cards.

I have two options:
Lenovo Y740, which comes with Rtx 2070MaxQ & Lenovo Y540 which comes with RTX 2060. Which one would you recommend? Is 2070MaxQ better than laptops 2060 GPU?

Thanks!
Grandmaster 2617
brianr

Re: Laptop for Leela

Post by brianr »

It may not be an option that works for you, but unless you very much want a laptop for portability a desktop would be a better option for Leela. You could also use a desktop and remote in to it from a mobile device.

Leela works GPUs very hard, and the ones in laptops can get too hot, and then they are slowed down.
Of course, laptops are also generally considerably more expensive than desktops of comparable power.

Looks like the 2070MaxQ is a power saving version of a mobile 2070, which itself might be slower than the desktop 2070.

FWIW One of my PCs has a desktop 2060 which is a great value (price/performance) GPU for Leela.
They can be found on sale for $300 US.
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

HI Brian!
Thanks for the reply. I actually own a RTX 2080 in desktop. Very happy with its performance.

Sometimes when I travel to tournaments, the internet is a bit sloppy so remote connectivity gets affected. Hence, was looking for a backup alternative.

In that case, would you suggest going for 2070MAXQ over the 2060 mobile?
Grandmaster 2617
brianr

Post by brianr »

For running at about 30 sec or so per move I doubt that you would notice any strength difference.
I did not look at the detailed specs of those two, but if one is considerably less expensive...
Leela also does better with full 6 piece syzygy tablebases which should ideally fit on an SSD (about 150 GB, IIRC)
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

Thanks for your input! :)
Grandmaster 2617
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

viditchess wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 pm Hello Everyone!
I am considering buying a new laptop with RTX cards.

I have two options:
Lenovo Y740, which comes with Rtx 2070MaxQ & Lenovo Y540 which comes with RTX 2060. Which one would you recommend? Is 2070MaxQ better than laptops 2060 GPU?

Thanks!
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... 8GMY501216

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... 8GMY701062

Well myself I run all my tourneys on my laptops, way more convenient..you can move a laptop around and watch TV or read and still monitor whats going on...and when done just fold the thing up and put it away or on a desk or shelf somewhere. The Y740 is i7 top of the line with Nvidia Graphics..so should be able to handle a Chess engine tourney with no problems (depending on engine setup) Depends on the pocketbook and the need...The Y740 is also a nice laptop with the lower price...(check prices on Newegg...Amazon and Ebay)....Good Luck AR :) :wink:
IanKennedy

Post by IanKennedy »

I have a Y520 (i7) and had a lot of problems updating the Nvidia drivers. Some were insisting I only use the official Lenovo OEM versions which were stuck at too low a version number. I tried using nvidia's own updated ones and ever since the GPU malfunctions under CUDA. Luckily I was buying a newer machine anyway (i9) so I use that for the heavy duty Leela stuff and stick with the OpenCL version on the laptop.
Author of the actively developed PSYCHO chess engine