Chest for Linux

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Canoike
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Chest for Linux

Post by Canoike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.

Look
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Iran
Full name: Mehdi Amini
Contact:

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Look » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 pm

I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.

zullil
Posts: 5615
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by zullil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Canoike wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:29 pm
Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.
There's ChestUCI_V52 at https://fhub.jimdo.com/, but I believe the source code is private and only Windows executables are provided. I suppose you could try running it under Wine on Linux.

mar
Posts: 1992
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by mar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Look wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 pm
I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.
xboard works very well on Linux, of course
Martin Sedlak

zullil
Posts: 5615
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by zullil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 pm

mar wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Look wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 pm
I suspect Stockfish would run on Linux. Unfortunately no featured Chess GUI exist for Linux AFAIK.
xboard works very well on Linux, of course
As does Cute Chess, as far as I can tell.

Canoike
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Canoike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 pm

zullil wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 pm
Canoike wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:29 pm
Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.
There's ChestUCI_V52 at https://fhub.jimdo.com/, but I believe the source code is private and only Windows executables are provided. I suppose you could try running it under Wine on Linux.
Thanks zullil. I had already found this link you mention. Wine is evil ;) As I have a multi boot PC, I largely prefer using linux to "feel the power" of my softwares. Well, I'll do with it.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10000
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 am

Arena runs on Linux
Shredder GUI runs on Linux
I guess that there are a lot more besides those already mentioned
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Look
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Iran
Full name: Mehdi Amini
Contact:

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Look » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 am

Dann Corbit wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 am
Arena runs on Linux
Shredder GUI runs on Linux
I guess that there are a lot more besides those already mentioned
There could be many. But I tried Arena GUI in windows and it has some delay and other problems. Shredder GUI is old. And so on. What GUI I want on linux ? A GUI with many features like ChessBase GUI in windows with :
  • Mega Database.
  • Fast And responsive.
  • Ability to install any UCI engine.
  • Powerful game search.
  • Annotated games.
  • Opening books.
  • Many types of board and pieces displayed.
  • And so on.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23631
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by hgm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Well, XBoard does most of that. Except the mega database; the database and game search functions would get a bit slow above 40k games. To handle larger databases there is SCID.

Look
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Iran
Full name: Mehdi Amini
Contact:

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by Look » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:18 pm

hgm wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm
Well, XBoard does most of that. Except the mega database; the database and game search functions would get a bit slow above 40k games. To handle larger databases there is SCID.
As a training tool I would add :
  • Advanced replay training. Like that featured in ChessBase 15 and even better.

Post Reply