The Fine Art of Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

The Fine Art of Chess

Post by hgm »

[Moderation] Lyudmil Tsvetkov is now selling a new book he has written, and tried to promote its sales here.

I think this kind of advertizing violates the charter, so for the time being I moved it to the moderator archive. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others on whether such announcements of commercial material are considered interesting.

There also is the concern how our host / sponsor would react on commercial activities here that divert sales to a competitor...
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: The Fine Art of Chess

Post by zullil »

One-time announcements of commercial products related to computer chess have certainly been permitted in the past. (I'm sure I could give specific examples after searching, but don't have time to do that.) What is specifically not permitted are "flagrant commercial exhortations" (emphasis is mine).
Once a member gains access to the message board, he may read all messages and post new or response messages with the proviso that these new or response messages:

1. Are, within reason, on the topic of computer chess
2. Are not abusive in nature
3. Do not contain personal and/or libelous attacks on others
4. Are not flagrant commercial exhortations
5. Are not of questionable legal status.
As to concerns related to our host's response---moderators should contact our host directly and see if such concerns exist, in which case the charter ought to reflect that.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

zullil wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 am One-time announcements of commercial products related to computer chess have certainly been permitted in the past. (I'm sure I could give specific examples after searching, but don't have time to do that.) What is specifically not permitted are "flagrant commercial exhortations" (emphasis is mine).
Once a member gains access to the message board, he may read all messages and post new or response messages with the proviso that these new or response messages:

As to concerns related to our host's response---moderators should contact our host directly and see if such concerns exist, in which case the charter ought to reflect that.
Thank a lot, Louis!
Wow, how much I miss you.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

hgm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:58 am [Moderation] Lyudmil Tsvetkov is now selling a new book he has written, and tried to promote its sales here.

I think this kind of advertizing violates the charter, so for the time being I moved it to the moderator archive. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others on whether such announcements of commercial meterial are considered interesting.

There also is the concern how our host / sponsor would react on commercial activities here that divert sales to a competitor...
Hello Harm.
How are you doing?
I will not bother you too much, will post 2 or 3 more messages and am all gone.
I just thought some folks might find the topic interesting.
I had a second thought whether to post on this forum, but then I was in a hurry and thought to myself, "Why not".
Will this be the end of the world?
Gosh, you scared me so much, that I misspelled "thanks" for "thank".
And almost misspelled "folks" for "falks".
And I think above sentences may not be construed perfectly.
Gosh, you scared me.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Here one more substantial review, published on Chess.com by Novacek: https://www.chess.com/blog/novacek/book ... t-of-chess
And I'll stop here, no more reviews.
People may judge for themselves.
Why I posted the review?
Because I wanted for the thread to be complete and meaningful.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

I think this is the thin line between "flagrant" and "non-flagrant", so I stop here.
One diagram for engine-lovers to test their newest engines:
[d]rnbqkbnr/ppppp1pp/8/5p2/3P4/8/PPP1PPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 2

How many engines apart from Stockfish - lol! - are able to find the best move, 2. d5!
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm
zullil wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 am One-time announcements of commercial products related to computer chess have certainly been permitted in the past. (I'm sure I could give specific examples after searching, but don't have time to do that.) What is specifically not permitted are "flagrant commercial exhortations" (emphasis is mine).

Thank a lot, Louis!
Hi Lyudmil,

Yes, we had such interesting times together here at TalkChess! I enjoyed your provocative :D posts, which I always believed were intended to improve chess engines, by suggesting weaknesses in their evaluations.

Louis
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

If the thread gets too long or goes out of hand, you may simply close it.
I don't have the time and energy to submerge myself into endless, and fruitless, discussions.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Thank a lot, Louis!
I wrote it. And carefully considered the meaning of the words involved. What would you like to know about what it means, why those particular words are used and what it is designed to cover?
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

chrisw wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank a lot, Louis!
I wrote it. And carefully considered the meaning of the words involved. What would you like to know about what it means, why those particular words are used and what it is designed to cover? Clause 4. is not supposed to catch primary original product producers, unless they get very very flagrant indeed. The intention was to stop secondary resellers from spamming the forum with commercial advertising or pushing of product in whatever way, once was kind of okay, but lots not. Original creative producers were to be given more leeway to talk about their creations. Chess engine creators were to be given more leeway than creators of support material, into which the category books, texts or youtube videos would come. I don't get the impression Lyudmil is a secondary reseller, but I may be wrong. That's the purpose of the word flagrant. Make it yourself, and the closer your thing is to an actual chess playing program, the more often it is okay to be making posts about it.