Real or hoax? Threadripper 3990wx

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: Real or hoax? Threadripper 3990wx

Post by Leo »

Does anyone think its a hoax?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

There are some outfits where you can configure your own system with the components you like and the price updates on the fly.
I think it was around $15K but I did not add any GPUs yet, so the final cost would be more.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Cumnor
Full name: Kevin D Plant

Post by Cumnor »

MikeB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:58 pm
MikeB wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:24 am
MikeB wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:50 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 pm The 7742 is run in pairs for the 240M NPS bench.
Extremely doubtful that one 7702p can approach that.
Agree 100% ,and I was not suggesting that in my original post.
MikeB wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 am
Don't know about that - but if you get two of these on one motherboard , you are looking at 240,000,000 nps (SF) at a minimum.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14554041
I see.
However, the processors that end with a P designation cannot be run in pairs.
They require a single socket motherboard
I knew they had single and dual socket configuration - I assumed that the "P" flavors would be run in pairs, my bad, you are correct.
The pricing premium for the non p version over the p version is ~ 40% , factor of in the additional cost for the dual socket motherboard and you are looking at quite bit more than 2x premium to go from 64 to 128 cores. Currently pricing a 7702p configuration with a custom builder today. Would anyone like to guess the price - Ubunta OS , 1 TB SSD drive , assume a $750 video card and 64 GB ram. Guess the final price without delivery charges and as well the price you would be willing to pay if you had the financial resources to buy one without any undue hardship. I haven’t committed yet - still waiting for the quote. My best guess is that it will do the SF bench at 120M nps. Has anyone seen a bench from the 7702P yet?
Yes I posted this earlier in the thread https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content ... chmark.jpg
Moderator of Rybka forum (Site no longer active)
Admin of Infinitychess playing server and Forum (Site suspended, maybe be back in the Future)