InfinityChess Forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eduard
Full name: N.N.

InfinityChess Forum

Post by Eduard »

InfinityChess now also has a forum.

https://cumnor-chess-server.com/phpbb/index.php
Ovyron

Re: InfinityChess Forum

Post by Ovyron »

Heh, if I joined I wonder how long would it take me to be banned for complaining about how their tournaments are a joke because of the way their Tournament Directors run things, awarding free points to established players, being unfair to new players, and such :roll:
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Cumnor
Full name: Kevin D Plant

Post by Cumnor »

I have never intentionally given free points to any one and what unfairness to new players?
Moderator of Rybka forum (Site no longer active)
Admin of Infinitychess playing server and Forum (Site suspended, maybe be back in the Future)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Eduard wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:07 am InfinityChess now also has a forum.

https://cumnor-chess-server.com/phpbb/index.php
Can someone confirm for me...InfinityChess looks (from the images) like nothing more than a hacked version of PlayChess.

Is it just Playchess? Or a server that coincidently looks IDENTICAL?

I'm out of the loop with such things.

When everyone is either using Lc0 or Stockfish (or derivs), the HARDWARE battle bores me.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Last time I looked it was similar to playchess, so when they wrote it they clearly used playchess for inspiration, but the crucial difference for me is that it is free. I haven't used playchess for a long time.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Cumnor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am I have never intentionally given free points to any one and what unfairness to new players?
I'm talking about the event where a new player joins after, say, 4 rounds, and because another abandoned the event, this player replaces them, and they get whatever points the abandoning player had, just to make them play in the current round.

So it's terrible to see that I had to draw 4 games in a row to get 2.0 points, and this new player just gets 2 points for free when joining. But when I arrive late, I'm not replacing anybody, so the unfairness is some people can join late and replace someone and get their points, while others just miss the points they'd have gotten if they joined from the start.

The TD told me I'd not replace someone like that because I don't play as often over there as the replacing player <- :shock: Discrimination against "new people", despite my account being 7 years old!

When I complained about it (I was Vytron over there) I was censored, and I can no longer chat on InfinityChess. After being banned the TD said I probably was someone previously banned that was back under a different name or some crap.

What's funny is they don't seem to care about freedom of speech, I could still join tournaments, and play, and long as I didn't chat at all, so it's more like a chess move farm, they didn't care about me, but only about the moves I could send to the server, which becomes pointless if I lose the tourney because someone replaced a player with more points.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 amWhen everyone is either using Lc0 or Stockfish (or derivs), the HARDWARE battle bores me.
Nah, it turned out to be a BOOK battle, as I was managing to do well with my 4CPU from 2010 against people with 30 more times the nodes per second than me, thanks to a strong private book I was given, that bridged the difference in hardware.
Cumnor
Full name: Kevin D Plant

Post by Cumnor »

First of all I can not comment on why your chat was muted as I was not the TD who muted you.
You can always appeal against the muting by sending a email to info at infinitychess.com.

As for the replacing of a player with another player in a tour is a "Catch 22" situation, if the player was not replaced then the other player who was paired against the absent player would be awarded a win, then could go on and win the tour and guess what, a player in the tour may complain that he only won the tour because of the win he was given and would comment that the absent should have been replaced, which some do.

Most of the time a user is muted only for a short length of time, I am sure if you returned, I could get you unmuted if needed by asking that TD to remove the mute.

Regards
Kevin.
Moderator of Rybka forum (Site no longer active)
Admin of Infinitychess playing server and Forum (Site suspended, maybe be back in the Future)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Cumnor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 pmAs for the replacing of a player with another player in a tour is a "Catch 22" situation, if the player was not replaced then the other player who was paired against the absent player would be awarded a win
This make sense, like in chess, if your opponent doesn't appear you get a win. You also get a win on byes. You also get a win if you opponent forgot to set up their book and their engine couldn't play well without it, etc.

But in this specific event, say, Vxxx played four rounds and drew their games and got 2 points (0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5), then they abandoned the tourney. Mxxx would have played Vxxx next round. In the fifth round, Uxxx suddenly appears, and they replace Vxxx and play Mxxx. Uxxx loses the game. So the end result is that Uxxx gets 2 wins worth of points just for appearing and losing a game, while the rest of people had to play for their points. In all scenarios, this is worse than Mxxx just getting a win because their opponent disappeared and they won by default.

Uxxx joining late and getting two points for losing a game makes the tournament a joke. There should be a way for replacing players to not acquire the points of the players they replace, or for TDs to remove those points after they replace. Until then, I couldn't stand something like this happening again, I wouldn't even find it fair if I joined late and I was made replace another player and gotten their points for free, because I didn't earn them.

I also got the vibe from this TD (it should be clear who is it, since it's not Arno or you...) that since he's doing this for free, and since it's something really hard to do (he went and explained how the software for TDing sucks, and how directing tournaments was a nightmare...) that he was entitled to make all his decisions unchallenged, and that anybody that disagreed with what he was doing would be muted (so I was just an example.)

I guess it'd make sense for me to check who's going to be the TD, and only play if it's Jojo or you, but if this "player joins late, loses a game and gets 2 free points because they replaced someone" nonsense would also be expected from Jojo or you, then, no thanks.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Cumnor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 pm Most of the time a user is muted only for a short length of time, I am sure if you returned, I could get you unmuted if needed by asking that TD to remove the mute.
But how do I ask the TD to remove the mute if the chat is blocked? (I'm Vytron on there, still muted.)