Where did all these 3400 engines come from?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Where did all these 3400 engines come from?

Post by syzygy »

mclane wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 am
Peter Skinner wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:38 am Hello all,

I've been getting into computer chess again after a long hiatus due to family responsibilities. Raising 3 children on your own is tough work, so if you had a single Parent at any point in your life, thank them for putting you first before everything.

On a side note, where did all these 3400 engines come from? When I left there was 6 engines that cracked 3300+.

Is this more of the same from Robbolitto and what not?

Congratulations to the Komodo team for winning the World Computer Chess Championships in Macao.
The main problem I see is that all those engines play chess on a level between 2600-3300+
ELO, but they do not really have a clou what chess is or what the target of chess is.
They mainly solve chess via a deep search tree. Reach 15-44 search depths and outcompute the opponent.
But do they play really chess ? I mean, do they have a plan or do they make moves that do not lose material?!
Where is the problem?

I will tell you about another problem: one day we will be able to program a computer to have human-like intelligence, and then we will realise it is STILL just a silly computer (and that we are no different).