planned weekly komodo vs human series on chess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Re: planned weekly komodo vs human series on chess.com

Post by Father »

Chessqueen wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Father wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm
lkaufman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 am
Father wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:01 am πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡ I would like to play against Komodo, but I am not a tittled chess player. πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈπŸ™πŸ™
We only play with increments, having no interest in seeing games decided by lag. If you still want to try some games, presumably to see whether you can get fortress draws, it might be worth some games to see whether Contempt is enough to avoid such draws. One issue is that the success of this fortress-seeking plan may depend primarily on the opening book, rather than the engine, I'm not sure about that.
Larry, I am ready for playing with increments against the computer, and with handicap in favor of computer side; example: Komodo 5+3 and for me 4+3.

Problem it is that i dont have time for playing this weekend, but Komodo it is welcome ever.

I believe I could do it well. For me beat top computers has been a real goal that I have repeated on the desk, in internet, agaisnt the hardware and in all atmospheras
Show us any games where you have beaten a decent Engine at Blitz :roll:
Thisone better. An old machΓ³n e King versus an untitled old human being

SF10''KS1.3''BMI2[/pgn] (11 threads): 32.1 plies; 16.875kN/s Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3696MHz, (6 cores, 12 threads) New Elo: 2103 (+31), Classic.
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Father wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 pm
Chessqueen wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Father wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm
lkaufman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:34 am
Father wrote: ↑Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:01 am πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡ I would like to play against Komodo, but I am not a tittled chess player. πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈπŸ™πŸ™
We only play with increments, having no interest in seeing games decided by lag. If you still want to try some games, presumably to see whether you can get fortress draws, it might be worth some games to see whether Contempt is enough to avoid such draws. One issue is that the success of this fortress-seeking plan may depend primarily on the opening book, rather than the engine, I'm not sure about that.
Larry, I am ready for playing with increments against the computer, and with handicap in favor of computer side; example: Komodo 5+3 and for me 4+3.

Problem it is that i dont have time for playing this weekend, but Komodo it is welcome ever.

I believe I could do it well. For me beat top computers has been a real goal that I have repeated on the desk, in internet, agaisnt the hardware and in all atmospheras
Show us any games where you have beaten a decent Engine at Blitz :roll:
Thisone better. An old machΓ³n e King versus an untitled old human being

SF10''KS1.3''BMI2[/pgn] (11 threads): 32.1 plies; 16.875kN/s Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3696MHz, (6 cores, 12 threads) New Elo: 2103 (+31), Classic.
The series is on Wednesday evenings, not the weekend, so if you have an interest to play on some future Wednesday evening propose a date. The setup does not currently allow for time odds (either way), but anyway time is not a problem for Komodo, as long as there is at least one second increment to prevent time loss due to lag. Have you won any games from any top engine by checkmate or resignation (time losses by an engine can only be due to lag or improper setting of overhead or zero increment, so they don't mean anything)? Even if you only have draws (excluding time losses), I give you credit for finding a way to trick the engines into allowing fortresses, and I would like to know whether Komodo will avoid this with some reasonable Contempt setting, perhaps with no opening book at all. It was suggested that Komodo could be made immune to such fortresses by giving it absurdly low piece values, but we won't do that, it would be rather silly and pointless. We should be able to avoid draws with much weaker players without playing in an obviously unsound manner.
Komodo rules!
Father

Post by Father »

Thanks you very much Larry.

I appreciate the attention and deference you have with me; Being very close to reaching sixty years of age, we discovered the scope of that proverb that teaches: "Vanity of vanities and everything is vanity." I am very clear that Providence has wanted to place me in a wonderful place on stage. of chess: "Being human without titles will show the weaknesses of chess computers to satiety, will be despised by many and never recognized by the owners of the truth of the world." This sentence also contains vanity, due to that everything in this life is vanity and only vanity. For now Larry I will continue until God wants to play my game.
Best regards,
Pablo
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Father wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:46 am Thanks you very much Larry.

I appreciate the attention and deference you have with me; Being very close to reaching sixty years of age, we discovered the scope of that proverb that teaches: "Vanity of vanities and everything is vanity." I am very clear that Providence has wanted to place me in a wonderful place on stage. of chess: "Being human without titles will show the weaknesses of chess computers to satiety, will be despised by many and never recognized by the owners of the truth of the world." This sentence also contains vanity, due to that everything in this life is vanity and only vanity. For now Larry I will continue until God wants to play my game.
Best regards,
Pablo
I wonder, who has the bigger crazy Ego! ARB vs this dude!
Father

Post by Father »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am

Best regards,
Pablo
... And this sentencie also it is vanity.

his comment only proves once again that chess elites and the mass media responsible for teaching the state of the art, have preferred to blindfold rather than publicly and openly accept that an outsider could obtain the same or better results facing computers by distorting their Wrong paradigms. Twenty years of uninterrupted defeats by others on the desktop and on the internet live and direct lack value and truthfulness. This elusive attitude is incredible and the greatest of the egos. But even what I write today and here on this post is also vanity, because in life everything is vanity and vain efforts on earth, and in the end the only thing that is good for human beings is to have feared and loved God.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: ↑Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am

Best regards,
Pablo
Lyudmil Tsvetkov
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Okay, we settled on the details for this Wednesday's match on chess.com at 5 p.m. Eastern time. It will be Komodo 13.1, standard version this time, vs. my son IM Raymond Kaufman. Komodo will run on my fast (4.1 GHz) 16 core i9 machine. Time limit 10 minutes plus five seconds increment, which is considered rapid (not blitz) on chess.com. Six games, so it should not run past 8 p.m. Eastern Time unless there are some very long games. Here are the handicaps: Two games at knight odds (one game b1, one game g1 odds). Two games at knight odds from chess960 positions, but only using positions with the kings and rooks on their normal squares so the castling rules are normal and the games don't require using chess960 software. One game at pawn (f7) and three moves handicap (White starts with 1e4 and 2d4 already played, and chooses his third move at the board, with f7 removed). One game at f7 + g7 handicap.
Comments: The time limit is the same as in Nakamura's last blitz/rapid match with Komodo, and just slightly faster than the 15' + 2" used in the MVL vs Komodo handicap rapid match. Based on those matches, it seems that the fair handicap for the world's top three rapid/blitz players at this time control is about a +2.00 eval based on Komodo 13.1 MCTS. Of course Ray is about five hundred elo weaker than those guys in rapid/blitz play, so he certainly needs more than a 2.00 handicap, but we know from experience that Ray should be favored at knight odds (about 3.00 per Komodo MCTS) at this time control, and at longer time limits (45' + 15") even FMs rated a couple hundred elo below Ray have won knight odds matches decisively. So probably this means the fair handicap is somewhere around 2.6 or 2.7. The other four handicaps all have evals in or near that range. It is certainly harder for the human to win at knight odds in chess960 compared to normal chess, due to unfamiliarity with typical development schemes, and in the one match we held that way FM John Meyer lost all four games to Komodo. But requiring the kings and rooks to be on their normal squares, making normal castling possible, should reduce the "weirdness" factor. Probably Komodo is favored a bit in these two games, but it's never been tried. The f7 + g7 handicap looks like a joke, as after White opens with 1.e4 he already threatens mate, and the natural defense 1...Nf6? loses the knight to 2.e5. It is clearly much more than any other two pawn handicap, but it is also clearly less than knight odds. In the only game on record with this handicap, Komodo defeated FM Larry Gilden (about 2100 FIDE at the time). As for the f7 and three move handicap, that was typically considered as the final step before knight odds back in the Morphy era. Komodo has given this handicap twice in official games, losing to GM Simon Williams but defeating IM Danny Rensch, who (in his defense) seemed to be spending more time talking to the viewers than thinking during his game. No one has ever beaten Komodo at f7 and two move handicap in an official game (lots of draws by GMs, but also lots of losses), but the third move makes quite a large difference.
So I rate Ray as the favorite in two games, Komodo as the favorite in four, but all should be close and all three results are plausible in each game. Perhaps in the future we'll repeat the match using Komodo MCTS so as to be able to compare the two matches.
Komodo rules!
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Maybe Komodo team might give chess960 + material odds a try. The disharmony of the pieces offered in chess960 might offset some material deficit.

Most top engines play chess960 equally good as standard setup.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Nordlandia wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm Maybe Komodo team might give chess960 + material odds a try. The disharmony of the pieces offered in chess960 might offset some material deficit.

Didn't you read the previous post? Two of the games will be precisely what you ask, chess960 with knight odds. The selected positions will be ones that allow for normal castling, so they qualify both as chess960 and as normal chess with an altered start position. We already know from past matches with FM John Meyer that you are correct, it is much harder for the human to win with knight odds in 960 than in normal chess. Ray is a much stronger player, so we'll see if this is again the case.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:02 pm
Nordlandia wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm Maybe Komodo team might give chess960 + material odds a try. The disharmony of the pieces offered in chess960 might offset some material deficit.

Didn't you read the previous post? Two of the games will be precisely what you ask, chess960 with knight odds. The selected positions will be ones that allow for normal castling, so they qualify both as chess960 and as normal chess with an altered start position. We already know from past matches with FM John Meyer that you are correct, it is much harder for the human to win with knight odds in 960 than in normal chess. Ray is a much stronger player, so we'll see if this is again the case.
Your son is rated 2062 in Chess960, you should give him a Knight odds plus a move https://www.chess.com/member/mimsychess
Some of his most recent games are from 2007 http://www.chessgames.com/player/raymond_s_kaufman.html

This game was well played versus such higher player Le Quang Liem back in 2014 what was the Vietnamese super star rating ?
From June 15 to June 20 Le participated in the 2014 World Rapid and Blitz Championship in Dubai, UAE as the defending champion in blitz. At blitz Liem finished fourth with +12=4-5, behind the new champion Magnus Carlsen, Ian Nepomniachtchi and Hikaru Nakamura. At rapid Liem finished 19th with +7=4-4.[16] ://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1776899
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll: