planned weekly komodo vs human series on chess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

planned weekly komodo vs human series on chess.com

Post by lkaufman »

We are planning to start a weekly series of matches on chess.com. Each week Komodo would face some titled human opponent on chess.com for a rapid or blitz handicap match, details to be decided. We might use regular Komodo some times, MCTS version other times. The current plan is for this to happen on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Eastern time. There won't generally be any chess.com tv coverage, although of course they are welcome to do so. You simply observe the games of "playkomodo". The first opponent, for next Wednesday (Aug. 21), is my son, I.M. Raymond Kaufman, who tied for first place in the Canadian Open last year. Probably three hours total time. Some weeks I may play against Komodo myself. Any titled players who would like to volunteer to play in one of these events let us know here. In general it would just be for fun, although we can find some prize money for GMs. Ideas for handicaps are welcome, but please remember that it has to be something that can be specified as a pgn, we won't have the ability to do things that require special rules beyond what a pgn can specify. One idea I want to include is chess960 with knight odds, but it has to be one of the 18 positions that allow normal castling on both sides since chess960 isn't set up to allow for changing the start position currently.
Komodo rules!
Nay Lin Tun

Re: planned weekly komodo vs human series on chess.com

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

I guess, you are the only titled player here.
Most of us are like 1200-1300. :mrgreen:
You would be lucky if you find some 2000+ in here. :twisted:
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 pm We are planning to start a weekly series of matches on chess.com. Each week Komodo would face some titled human opponent on chess.com for a rapid or blitz handicap match, details to be decided. We might use regular Komodo some times, MCTS version other times. The current plan is for this to happen on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Eastern time. There won't generally be any chess.com tv coverage, although of course they are welcome to do so. You simply observe the games of "playkomodo". The first opponent, for next Wednesday (Aug. 21), is my son, I.M. Raymond Kaufman, who tied for first place in the Canadian Open last year. Probably three hours total time. Some weeks I may play against Komodo myself. Any titled players who would like to volunteer to play in one of these events let us know here. In general it would just be for fun, although we can find some prize money for GMs. Ideas for handicaps are welcome, but please remember that it has to be something that can be specified as a pgn, we won't have the ability to do things that require special rules beyond what a pgn can specify. One idea I want to include is chess960 with knight odds, but it has to be one of the 18 positions that allow normal castling on both sides since chess960 isn't set up to allow for changing the start position currently.
Very nice!!

Any planned updates to Komodo for the series?
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:40 am I guess, you are the only titled player here.
Most of us are like 1200-1300. :mrgreen:
You would be lucky if you find some 2000+ in here. :twisted:
Perhaps even if other titled players are not regulars here, many of the regulars here will know titled players and may ask them about playing such matches. Of course I know plenty of titled players myself so perhaps I'll find some who want to play besides my son and myself. Or perhaps chess.com will suggest some.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

mwyoung wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 am
lkaufman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 pm We are planning to start a weekly series of matches on chess.com. Each week Komodo would face some titled human opponent on chess.com for a rapid or blitz handicap match, details to be decided. We might use regular Komodo some times, MCTS version other times. The current plan is for this to happen on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. Eastern time. There won't generally be any chess.com tv coverage, although of course they are welcome to do so. You simply observe the games of "playkomodo". The first opponent, for next Wednesday (Aug. 21), is my son, I.M. Raymond Kaufman, who tied for first place in the Canadian Open last year. Probably three hours total time. Some weeks I may play against Komodo myself. Any titled players who would like to volunteer to play in one of these events let us know here. In general it would just be for fun, although we can find some prize money for GMs. Ideas for handicaps are welcome, but please remember that it has to be something that can be specified as a pgn, we won't have the ability to do things that require special rules beyond what a pgn can specify. One idea I want to include is chess960 with knight odds, but it has to be one of the 18 positions that allow normal castling on both sides since chess960 isn't set up to allow for changing the start position currently.
Very nice!!

Any planned updates to Komodo for the series?
Nothing definite yet, but you can expect a new Komodo pretty soon as we have enough elo (in both regular and MCTS) to justify one, and of course the two world titles. Some people may be on summer vacation so we might have to work around their schedules.
Komodo rules!
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Are takeback handicaps ruled out?
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Also going to use some high Dynamism and Contempt sometimes too? I think that'll be fun...nobody will be strong enough to exploit the slight drop in strength, and the highly tactical nature will likely blow away the human in spectacular fashion. 8-)
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Ovyron wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm Are takeback handicaps ruled out?
I'll have to test whether that would work properly or not. I'd also have to check how time would be handled. It certainly does not make sense to restore thinking time for a takeback.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:05 pm
Also going to use some high Dynamism and Contempt sometimes too? I think that'll be fun...nobody will be strong enough to exploit the slight drop in strength, and the highly tactical nature will likely blow away the human in spectacular fashion. 8-)
If we use regular Komodo, we always raise Contempt for handicap games, and King Safety (which is part of Dynamism) is higher in current version. For MCTS, some "Contempt" is effectively built-in, as the assumption that the opponent won't always play the "best" response raises our expected score.
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:52 pm
BrendanJNorman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:05 pm
If we use regular Komodo, we always raise Contempt for handicap games, and King Safety (which is part of Dynamism) is higher in current version. For MCTS, some "Contempt" is effectively built-in, as the assumption that the opponent won't always play the "best" response raises our expected score.
Larry It would be nice if you can narrate or do live commentary on chess.com I would even pay a $5.00 or $10.00 per month subscription like on TCEC to watch it every Wednesday and learn how to play better chess from You; or Chess.com can charge an extra $10.00 subscription to hire a GM and make LIVE commentaries. Will the hardware be less powerful than the one used against GM Nakamura ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0-sxnAzMMw&t=236s
Last edited by Chessqueen on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll: