Page 1 of 4

Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 pm
by mehmet karaman
Komodo won the WCCC.

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm
by zullil
mehmet karaman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Komodo won the WCCC.

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.
And maybe the biggest share of the success goes to

8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores used. :wink:

But now Komodo can be marketed as the "World Computer Chess Champion".

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 pm
by mehmet karaman
I don't think the biggest share of the success goes to 8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores.

Because Jonny plays with 1200 cores (60 x 20 cores Intel Xeon E5-2630 @ 2.4 Ghz) but it has only 4.5 points at 9 game.

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm
by noobpwnftw
While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm
by lkaufman
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm
mehmet karaman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Komodo won the WCCC.

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.
And maybe the biggest share of the success goes to

8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores used. :wink:

But now Komodo can be marketed as the "World Computer Chess Champion".
We needed this hardware to be competitive with Jonny on 1200 cores, but anyway we also won the Software championship where everyone runs on identical hardware so we can exclude hardware as a factor. Regarding the absence of Stockfish, Lc0, and some other strong engines, the cost has been given as the main reason for nonparticipation in most cases, but there was very generous sponsorship this year for both expenses and prize money, and so any engine that had a realistic shot at winning would probably have had a positive expectation financially, or at least not significantly negative.

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 pm
by zullil
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm
While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D
So Komodo was running on one of your machines? The one that gave 431.403.814 nps for asmfish?

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm
by noobpwnftw
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 pm
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm
While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D
So Komodo was running on one of your machines? The one that gave 431.403.814 nps for asmfish?

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php
Whose machine is irrelevant, as there are specs about the hardware which produced those results.

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm
by zullil
lkaufman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm
mehmet karaman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 pm
Komodo won the WCCC.

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.
And maybe the biggest share of the success goes to

8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores used. :wink:

But now Komodo can be marketed as the "World Computer Chess Champion".
We needed this hardware to be competitive with Jonny on 1200 cores, but anyway we also won the Software championship where everyone runs on identical hardware so we can exclude hardware as a factor. Regarding the absence of Stockfish, Lc0, and some other strong engines, the cost has been given as the main reason for nonparticipation in most cases, but there was very generous sponsorship this year for both expenses and prize money, and so any engine that had a realistic shot at winning would probably have had a positive expectation financially, or at least not significantly negative.
Would Komodo have competed if it were not a commercial product? Disclaimer: I like Komodo, and have purchased it several times in the past.

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm
by zullil
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 pm
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm
While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D
So Komodo was running on one of your machines? The one that gave 431.403.814 nps for asmfish?

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php
Whose machine is irrelevant, as there are specs about the hardware which produced those results.
OK, that sounds like "yes." :wink:

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:20 pm
by noobpwnftw
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm
zullil wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 pm
noobpwnftw wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:17 pm
While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D
So Komodo was running on one of your machines? The one that gave 431.403.814 nps for asmfish?

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php
Whose machine is irrelevant, as there are specs about the hardware which produced those results.
OK, that sounds like "yes." :wink:
If that was the case then now I would regret so much that I should have given them all the cores in order to steal their glory victory. :D :D :D