Congrats the Komodo Team

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Congrats the Komodo Team

Post by zullil »

noobpwnftw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm
noobpwnftw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm
noobpwnftw wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 pm While the rest of the cores on the machine were probably kibitzing TCEC during the event.

I think top tier teams should be strong enough to overcome those minor hardware differences. :D
So Komodo was running on one of your machines? The one that gave 431.403.814 nps for asmfish?

http://www.ipmanchess.yolasite.com/amd- ... -bench.php
Whose machine is irrelevant, as there are specs about the hardware which produced those results.
OK, that sounds like "yes." :wink:
If that was the case then now I would regret so much that I should have given them all the cores in order to steal their glory victory. :D :D :D
Actually, you're right. Whose machine it is doesn't really matter. My apology.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 pm
mehmet karaman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:58 pm Komodo won the WCCC.

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.
And maybe the biggest share of the success goes to

8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores used. :wink:

But now Komodo can be marketed as the "World Computer Chess Champion".
We needed this hardware to be competitive with Jonny on 1200 cores, but anyway we also won the Software championship where everyone runs on identical hardware so we can exclude hardware as a factor. Regarding the absence of Stockfish, Lc0, and some other strong engines, the cost has been given as the main reason for nonparticipation in most cases, but there was very generous sponsorship this year for both expenses and prize money, and so any engine that had a realistic shot at winning would probably have had a positive expectation financially, or at least not significantly negative.
Would Komodo have competed if it were not a commercial product? Disclaimer: I like Komodo, and have purchased it several times in the past.
Yes, I judged before we entered that we were more likely to show a profit than a loss, not considering any benefit to sales from a possible win.
Komodo rules!
zullil

Post by zullil »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:31 pm

After 9 rounds Komodo has 7 points at 9 game. Komodo is 1.5 points ahead of Chiron. Komodo guaranteed to be champion with one game left.

We now that Stockfish and Stockfish derivatives like Cfish, asmFish are the strongest engines. Lc0 is as strong as Stockfish with very powerful GPU's.
At WCCC not only chess engine is important. Also hardware, opening book and tablebase are important. The operator is important too. (We saw this last WCCC)

No doubt that TCEC is the best chess engine tournament in the world. But this tournament isn' t same category with TCEC.
WCCC is a whole system (software+ hardware+ operator) tournament. This success isn' t only belongs to Larry Kaufman and Mark Lefler (and Don Dailey). Erdogan Gunes has a share in success too.

We needed this hardware to be competitive with Jonny on 1200 cores, but anyway we also won the Software championship where everyone runs on identical hardware so we can exclude hardware as a factor. Regarding the absence of Stockfish, Lc0, and some other strong engines, the cost has been given as the main reason for nonparticipation in most cases, but there was very generous sponsorship this year for both expenses and prize money, and so any engine that had a realistic shot at winning would probably have had a positive expectation financially, or at least not significantly negative.
Would Komodo have competed if it were not a commercial product? Disclaimer: I like Komodo, and have purchased it several times in the past.
Yes, I judged before we entered that we were more likely to show a profit than a loss, not considering any benefit to sales from a possible win.
Thanks. I certainly would have considered the sales benefit from a possible win. :D
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

zullil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 pm Thanks. I certainly would have considered the sales benefit from a possible win. :D
If it's profitable even without a win, you don't need to consider the sales when deciding whether to go. Basic alpha-beta pruning. Or maybe early evaluation drop-out. :D
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Robert Pope wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm
zullil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 pm Thanks. I certainly would have considered the sales benefit from a possible win. :D
If it's profitable even without a win, you don't need to consider the sales when deciding whether to go. Basic alpha-beta pruning. Or maybe early evaluation drop-out. :D
Komodo Team.........."Does It Again"......Well Done!! :) :wink:

World Chess Software Championship
Group 1 - Round 10 - 12-Aug-19
Site The Venetian Start date 11-Aug-19
City Macau End date 12-Aug-19
Country China Pairing system Round Robin
Organisation ICGA Arbiter Jan Krabbenbos

Group 1
Player list
Ranking
Normal ranking
XRef
Game file
Progress
History
Round 10
Round 9
Round 8
Round 7
Round 6
Round 5
Round 4
Round 3
Round 2
Round 1
Nr. White Black Result
1 Netherlands The Baron United States Komodo ½−½
2 Italy Chiron Germany Shredder 1−0
3 Germany Ginkgo Germany Jonny 0−1

Nr. Player Absence reason

Round 10
Pos Name Gms W D L Score SBgr Rtg TPR SRtg
1 United States Komodo 10 3 7 0 6.5 29.50 0 0
2 Germany Jonny 10 2 8 0 6.0 27.50 0 0
3 Italy Chiron 10 3 6 1 6.0 24.50 0 0
4 Germany Ginkgo 10 2 7 1 5.5 23.00 0 0
5 Germany Shredder 10 1 7 2 4.5 20.00 0 0
6 Netherlands The Baron 10 0 3 7 1.5 8.50 0 0
IanO

Post by IanO »

mehmet karaman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:15 pm I don't think the biggest share of the success goes to 8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores.

Because Jonny plays with 1200 cores (60 x 20 cores Intel Xeon E5-2630 @ 2.4 Ghz) but it has only 4.5 points at 9 game.
Thanks for those details. Are the platforms for the other four participants also known?
zullil

Post by zullil »

IanO wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm
mehmet karaman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:15 pm I don't think the biggest share of the success goes to 8 x Intel (R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8168 CPU @ 2.7 GHz, 128 cores.

Because Jonny plays with 1200 cores (60 x 20 cores Intel Xeon E5-2630 @ 2.4 Ghz) but it has only 4.5 points at 9 game.
Thanks for those details. Are the platforms for the other four participants also known?
https://icga.org/?page_id=2857
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Congrats! :D
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Congrats to you for winning the WCCC. I hope every realizes how many years you have put into computer chess. And that Komodo is not your first baby. Congratulations on another WCCC win!
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

I competed in these kinds of tournaments even when I had no chance of winning. And I am not very convinced winning these helps much with sales of a commercial program. It does help having a strong program because there are more travel assistance for stronger entries. We just sent our operator/book maker this year to keep the costs down, plus I spent a lot for a long vacation on my 60th birthday. But I hope to attend in person next year in Japan, depending on costs and health at that time. These events in person are a great place to exchange ideas and see some friends.