Winboard: 'Analyze Game' uses too less time

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Winboard: 'Analyze Game' uses too less time

Post by Henk »

How can I make analyze game using more time. I don't like the default because evaluation graph showing errors which vanish when using some more time.
Henk

Re: Winboard: 'Analyze Game' uses too less time

Post by Henk »

For instance stockfish 10 in its twenties telling me that gh4 is a bad move while it isn't in its thirties.
So on a slow computer analyze game needs more time.

[d] 4b3/8/8/4k3/1P3N1p/P2K2P1/8/8 w - - 0 55
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Henk wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:13 pm How can I make analyze game using more time. I don't like the default because evaluation graph showing errors which vanish when using some more time.
From the manpage for Xboard:

Analyze Game
This option subjects the currently loaded game to automatic analysis by the loaded engine. The `Ctrl-G' key is a keyboard equivalent.
XBoard will start auto-playing the game from the currently displayed position, while the engine is analyzing the current position. The game
will be annotated with the results of these analyses. In particlar, the score and depth will be added as a comment, and the PV will be added
as a variation.

Normally the analysis would stop after reaching the end of the game. But when a game is loaded from a multi-game file while `Analyze Game'
was already switched on, the analysis will continue with the next game in the file until the end of the file is reached (or you switch to
another mode).

The time the engine spends on analyzing each move can be controlled through the command-line option `-timeDelay', which can also be set from the `Load Game Options' menu dialog. Note: Some chess engines do not support Analysis mode.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Ok. Found it. It is called 'Load game with automatic stepping' under 'Load Game Options''. Menu: Options -> Load Game...