buying a new computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tom Likens

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Tom Likens »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm I am waiting to buy a new desktop myself. AMD is going to release its next generation ryzen 9 cpus with 12-core (24 threads) tomorrow.
I think it will be very good hardware for stockfish at the half price of intel's cpus (500$ compared to 1100$). There 16-core version will not come out until septmember though.

If you are also thinking of buying a gpu, NVIDIA is going to upgrade its rtx lineup to their "super" versions on july 9 for the same price.
A 15% improvement on performance but price remains the same.

There will be deals on cpu and gpus because of this so look out for those.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I've built a few systems and I think you'll find the experience rewarding. Just take
your time and it will work out. I'm glad you're considering the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs, (full disclaimer I'm part of the AMD Ryzen
design team--I'm an analog circuit designer). There's a lot of me in these new CPUs, so I hope they live up to your and everyone's
else expectations.

best,
--tom
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Someone ever considered a refurbished workstation? I got a HP Z620, I7, 2.8-3.5Ghz, 20 cores, 40 threads, 16Gb ram, 500Gb SSD, 2 x 1 TB harddisk for under 1000 euro with 2 year guarantee.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am Someone ever considered a refurbished workstation? I got a HP Z620, I7, 2.8-3.5Ghz, 20 cores, 40 threads, 16Gb ram, 500Gb SSD, 2 x 1 TB harddisk for under 1000 euro with 2 year guarantee.
I use mostly used server systems.
I got a 64 core system with 128 GB RAM for about 700 dollars.
And a 4x 32 core system was about $1200 ( though I do not remember the exact price).

The cost for these systems is really the electricity, and you have to deal with the noise somehow, since server room designed systems do not have to be quiet.

You can even find machines with more than two terabytes so you could build 7 man TB files if it suits your fancy.

My next machine will definitely be a modern one. I might get a 3950x, with a couple 2080 cards, but more likely the next threadripper or one of the commercial systems.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 am ...
My next machine will definitely be a modern one. I might get a 3950x, with a couple 2080 cards, but more likely the next threadripper or one of the commercial systems.
Yea, keep in mind that AMD Ryzen based systems have only 2 memory channels, compared to 4 for Threadripper, and 8 for Epyc server systems.

--
Srdja
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:05 am
Yea, keep in mind that AMD Ryzen based systems have only 2 memory channels, compared to 4 for Threadripper, and 8 for Epyc server systems.

--
Srdja
Even with the threadripper, you can see the highest end model tailing off when the thread count gets really high (not just SMP loss, it tails off drastically). If they don't do something to correct it, I am guessing the next threadripper won't be the superstar for chess that we dream of.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am Someone ever considered a refurbished workstation? I got a HP Z620, I7, 2.8-3.5Ghz, 20 cores, 40 threads, 16Gb ram, 500Gb SSD, 2 x 1 TB harddisk for under 1000 euro with 2 year guarantee.
...unless you have your own power plant and running 24/7, I guess it pays off to
invest in CPUs/GPUs based on smaller fabrication processes that consume less
watts.

***edit***
resp. have more instruction throughput per watt

--
Srdja
Last edited by smatovic on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am

--
Srdja
Even with the threadripper, you can see the highest end model tailing off when the thread count gets really high (not just SMP loss, it tails off drastically). If they don't do something to correct it, I am guessing the next threadripper won't be the superstar for chess that we dream of.
I am not into the details, but afaik AMD crippled something with the older 32 core systems and memory,
time will tell how the new ones perform.

--
Srdja
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am

--
Srdja
I am not into the details, but afaik AMD crippled something with the older 32 core systems and memory,
time will tell how the new ones perform.

--
Srdja
I guess it is nothing but bus contention,
58,856,709 32 cores
63,113,198 36 cores
77,576,847 64 cores
edit: should be threads, not cores
No such behavior on Epyc

Of course, they might have done something so that the Threadripper was not simply a cheaper, faster Epyc at high thread count
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Ah, another note, the Ryzens seem to have only 16 PCIe lanes for GPUs,
considering PCIe 4.0 and two GPUs this could be enough for LC0,
but the Threadrippers and Epycs have more lanes...

--
Srdja
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

smatovic wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 am
Ah, another note, the Ryzens seem to have only 16 PCIe lanes for GPUs,
considering PCIe 4.0 and two GPUs this could be enough for LC0,
but the Threadrippers and Epycs have more lanes...

--
Srdja
That would be nice. I have boatloads of GPUs, and I use them for lots of things besides chess