Fireworks for the Fourth

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
carldaman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by carldaman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:24 am

It's Independence Day in the US, so to celebrate the holiday I'm sharing some recent CyberNezh brilliancies, full of dazzling sacs and daring attacking play, drawing the opponents into a dubious-but-deadly morass of complications.
Try this style of play at your own risk. :P



I really 'dug' the kingside pawn storm that eventually led to the double Rxh2 sac.



I loved the 14.Nh5 (?!!) idea, not quite sound, but similar to what I've seen in some thematic correspondence games
that followed this gambit line of the Tarrasch French.



The win over Giraffe is easily my favorite, saccing a bunch of pawns, dangling the Rook on a8,
and then furiously saccing three more pieces before the final king hunt. Mind-boggling stuff. :)
(Note: the above games were played without a book)

Cheers!

PK
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Warsza
Contact:

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by PK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:11 am

Whit kind of magic is this? You have bested OpenTal.

chrisw
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by chrisw » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 am

carldaman wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:24 am
It's Independence Day in the US, so to celebrate the holiday I'm sharing some recent CyberNezh brilliancies, full of dazzling sacs and daring attacking play, drawing the opponents into a dubious-but-deadly morass of complications.
Try this style of play at your own risk. :P



I really 'dug' the kingside pawn storm that eventually led to the double Rxh2 sac.



I loved the 14.Nh5 (?!!) idea, not quite sound, but similar to what I've seen in some thematic correspondence games
that followed this gambit line of the Tarrasch French.



The win over Giraffe is easily my favorite, saccing a bunch of pawns, dangling the Rook on a8,
and then furiously saccing three more pieces before the final king hunt. Mind-boggling stuff. :)
(Note: the above games were played without a book)

Cheers!
This is a world-wide forum about computer chess. Not everybody, by any means, supports USA, or its Independence Day. Nor is everybody American. Some of us see the US as an enemy nation, I certainly do. Same goes for naming programs after War Criminals. The idea on these forums is that politics go to CTF.

carldaman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by carldaman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:10 pm

PK wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:11 am
Whit kind of magic is this? You have bested OpenTal.
OpenTal was clearly one of the inspirations for this, and I thank you for your work on that, Pawel.
I wish Brandon was still posting here (and I hope he's doing well).

My hope was to have a super-strong coffeehouse player, hearkening back to the old Romantic era of the 1800's,
but also stronger than today's best humans, too.

Cheers,
CL

carldaman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by carldaman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:19 pm

chrisw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 am

This is a world-wide forum about computer chess. Not everybody, by any means, supports USA, or its Independence Day. Nor is everybody American. Some of us see the US as an enemy nation, I certainly do. Same goes for naming programs after War Criminals. The idea on these forums is that politics go to CTF.
Well, the main content of the post was really about spectacular chess. The holiday was just an opportunity to stay up late and post some great chess games. Surprised you didn't comment on those, since your CSTAL pioneered the same wild attacking style and that was also an inspiration for 'Nezh.

(Besides, just because someone values and respects the principles upon which the nation was founded does not mean he/she supports all its current or past policies. You can be sure of that.)

supersharp77
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 am
Location: Southwest USA

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by supersharp77 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 am

PK wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:11 am
Whit kind of magic is this? You have bested OpenTal.


CyberNezh? What is it exactly? Never heard of it...a new engine? Thx AR :) :wink:

carldaman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by carldaman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 am

It is a private engine specializing in fearless attacking chess. Once in a while, when I have time, I will post some of its games for entertainment purposes. :)

User avatar
Ajedrecista
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain.
Contact:

Re: Fireworks for the fourth.

Post by Ajedrecista » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am

Hello:
carldaman wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:24 am
[...]



[...]
Why 39.- Rf4+ is labelled as checkmate (#)? Are not possible 39.- ..., Kh6 and 39.- ..., Kh7 moves? It might be an engine problem or a GUI problem.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

chrisw
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by chrisw » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am

carldaman wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:19 pm
chrisw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 am

This is a world-wide forum about computer chess. Not everybody, by any means, supports USA, or its Independence Day. Nor is everybody American. Some of us see the US as an enemy nation, I certainly do. Same goes for naming programs after War Criminals. The idea on these forums is that politics go to CTF.
Well, the main content of the post was really about spectacular chess. The holiday was just an opportunity to stay up late and post some great chess games. Surprised you didn't comment on those, since your CSTAL pioneered the same wild attacking style and that was also an inspiration for 'Nezh.

(Besides, just because someone values and respects the principles upon which the nation was founded does not mean he/she supports all its current or past policies. You can be sure of that.)
yes, thanks for that. I guess one of the reasons I might not comment on games is that I have no way to distinguish most posters anymore, gone are the days when people were using their real names, and thus I can’t predistinguish who is worth reading and who not. So many handles.

I was at the annual Soviet/Russian War Memorial service in London on May 9, celebrating Victory in the Great Patriotic War, followed by Immortal Regiment parade through central London. I sense that making celebratory passing comments to that would not go down too well here. For sure, celebratory comments about Peoples Liberation Army Victory over USA in Vietnam, would get some hostility, I think, even though I feel as strongly about that as you may over Independence Day. I wouldn’t mention it anyway, because I’m not particularly socially connected to this forum, but if I felt the need to mention it in passing, I’ld self-censor based on imagined reaction. I guess my gripe is that the computer chess forum is simply ‘Americanised’, as reflected in the apparent okay-ness of naming and posting a program named after a war criminal. That I find actually offensive, and insensitive. Possibly how you’ld feel if games from Goebbels v1.1 were posted a lot.

Anyway, I hope you had a good holiday

jp
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Fireworks for the Fourth

Post by jp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:44 pm

chrisw wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am
I guess my gripe is that the computer chess forum is simply ‘Americanised’, as reflected in the apparent okay-ness of naming and posting a program named after a war criminal. That I find actually offensive, and insensitive. Possibly how you’ld feel if games from Goebbels v1.1 were posted a lot.
Just for clarity, who is the war criminal?

Post Reply