Just something strange

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Just something strange

Post by Michael Sherwin »

On the CPW - Chessboard page there is a picture of a chessboard.

https://www.chessprogramming.org/Chessboard

I made that chessboard when I was 26 years old in 1983. I have no idea who ended up with it or how a picture of it got on the CPW. But here is the story of that chessboard.

I always wanted to make chess boards. So I gave it a try. I do not remember every detail of its construction but I will try my best to explain. I think the border is a hard pine but might be maple. The squares are laminate. A forest green laminate and an off white laminate. I glued a big sheet of each color of laminate to a wood of some type most likely pine and cut out the squares with a table saw. The base of the board is plywood. The squares are glued to the plywood. On the bottom of the board is green felt. I wanted only to sell them to get my money back. I could not sell any of them. There were 6 or 8 of them that I made. I finally traded them for a copy of Nunn's Chess Openings, a book that I still have. I was not a programmer back in those days and my uscf rating was 1875. So it is just bizarre to see a picture of a chessboard that I made in 1983 on the CPW and I just wonder how it got there. :lol:

Edit: Sorry my memory is off about the chess book. I just checked the date on my NCO and it is 1998. It was definitely an opening book so it most likely was an MCO that I do not have anymore.

Edit2: After I made the last edit a picture of the book popped into my mind. And I do still have it. It was BCO published in 1982. Glad that is settled! :lol:
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
supersharp77

Re: Just something strange: Chessboard

Post by supersharp77 »

Michael Sherwin wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm On the CPW - Chessboard page there is a picture of a chessboard.

I made that chessboard when I was 26 years old in 1983. I have no idea who ended up with it or how a picture of it got on the CPW. But here is the story of that chessboard.

I always wanted to make chess boards. So I gave it a try. I do not remember every detail of its construction but I will try my best to explain. I think the border is a hard pine but might be maple. The squares are laminate. A forest green laminate and an off white laminate. I glued a big sheet of each color of laminate to a wood of some type most likely pine and cut out the squares with a table saw. The base of the board is plywood. The squares are glued to the plywood. On the bottom of the board is green felt. I wanted only to sell them to get my money back. I could not sell any of them. There were 6 or 8 of them that I made. I finally traded them for a copy of Nunn's Chess Openings, a book that I still have. I was not a programmer back in those days and my uscf rating was 1875. So it is just bizarre to see a picture of a chessboard that I made in 1983 on the CPW and I just wonder how it got there. :lol:

Edit: Sorry my memory is off about the chess book. I just checked the date on my NCO and it is 1998. It was definitely an opening book so it most likely was an MCO that I do not have anymore.

Edit2: After I made the last edit a picture of the book popped into my mind. And I do still have it. It was BCO published in 1982. Glad that is settled! :lol:
Clicked on the link and the Board looks fantastic! Beautiful green squares..you made 6-8 and could not sell them? The one in the photo seems to have a couple of signatures on the bottom...Did you sign them? Thx AR :) :wink:
Michael Sherwin

Re: Just something strange: Chessboard

supersharp77 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:10 am
Michael Sherwin wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm On the CPW - Chessboard page there is a picture of a chessboard.

Clicked on the link and the Board looks fantastic! Beautiful green squares..you made 6-8 and could not sell them? The one in the photo seems to have a couple of signatures on the bottom...Did you sign them? Thx AR :) :wink:
No I did not sign them. Well if somebody has one of my boards and reads here at least they could verify the construction details. And it would be a big coincidence if that is not one of my boards as it is identical to the one's I made. And thank you for the compliment on how it looks! :D
Michael Sherwin

Re: Just something strange

My apologies. I did not know that I could follow the link. The bigger picture does not look exactly like my board. And according to that article the construction materials are different. So that board is not one of mine. That smaller picture does look like one of my boards though. Amazing! :shock: