Droidfish 1.74 Bin-book installation

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

retep1

Droidfish 1.74 Bin-book installation

Post by retep1 »

To all Droidfish (Android) users for help. I just can not bring the opening book of the SD card to work, on a Samsung Galaxy S9 + and the last Droidfish version 1.74.
In the settings for 'bookfilename' the path has to be entered. For me it looks like this: /storage/0000-0000/Droidfish/book/Goi 6.bin
The fact that the program can access the SD card in principle, I could figure out, insofar as the Syzygy tablebases, which also need a path input (in: Syzygy directory), work.
It just does not work with the book. For further information: In Android I have granted the app the permission to write to the memory of the SD card and read from her.
I really do not know how to continue.
Sorry for my Google-english.
Ferdy

Re: Droidfish 1.74 Bin-book installation

Post by Ferdy »

According to help, the book should be copied to droidfish/book directory. Once done you can then set the book filename in the book setting.
retep1

Post by retep1 »

Ferdy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm According to help, the book should be copied to droidfish/book directory. Once done you can then set the book filename in the book setting.
I did exactly that, as can be seen in my post. I indicated the path. And of course I read the help.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

retep1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:35 pm
Ferdy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm According to help, the book should be copied to droidfish/book directory. Once done you can then set the book filename in the book setting.
I did exactly that, as can be seen in my post. I indicated the path. And of course I read the help.
retep1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:35 pmIn the settings for 'bookfilename' the path has to be entered. For me it looks like this: /storage/0000-0000/Droidfish/book/Goi 6.bin
Do not indicate the path, just the filename.
retep1

Post by retep1 »

Ferdy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 pm
retep1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:35 pmIn the settings for 'bookfilename' the path has to be entered. For me it looks like this: /storage/0000-0000/Droidfish/book/Goi 6.bin
It does not work without a path, but it does not work either. If you want to use the Syzygy, the path must also be specified. With path it works without not . Again: it is about books on the SD card not in the internal memory. And in the notes you can read that you should copy the bin-file to the SD card in the subdirectory book, as in DroidFish/book. There is a youtube-video: Tutorial: how to install polyglot books (.bin) on Droidfish. Minute 2.10 you can see: /storage/emulated/O/Droidfish/book/goi5.bin
But as I said, this does not work for me.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

retep1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:52 pm
Ferdy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 pm
It does not work without a path, but it does not work either. If you want to use the Syzygy, the path must also be specified. With path it works without not . Again: it is about books on the SD card not in the internal memory. And in the notes you can read that you should copy the bin-file to the SD card in the subdirectory book, as in DroidFish/book. There is a youtube-video: Tutorial: how to install polyglot books (.bin) on Droidfish. Minute 2.10 you can see: /storage/emulated/O/Droidfish/book/goi5.bin
But as I said, this does not work for me.
When you install Droidfish app, where it was located?
Eduard
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

It works for me now on external SD Card with exact path:

/storage/sdcard2/Droidfish/xcx.bin

(without Folder "Book")
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Eduard wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 pm It works for me now on external SD Card with exact path:

/storage/sdcard2/Droidfish/xcx.bin

(without Folder "Book")
Are saying that when you install Droidfish app, it is located on /storage/sdcard2/Droidfish?
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

retep1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:38 pm To all Droidfish (Android) users for help. I just can not bring the opening book of the SD card to work, on a Samsung Galaxy S9 + and the last Droidfish version 1.74.
In the settings for 'bookfilename' the path has to be entered. For me it looks like this: /storage/0000-0000/Droidfish/book/Goi 6.bin
The fact that the program can access the SD card in principle, I could figure out, insofar as the Syzygy tablebases, which also need a path input (in: Syzygy directory), work.
It just does not work with the book. For further information: In Android I have granted the app the permission to write to the memory of the SD card and read from her.
I really do not know how to continue.
Sorry for my Google-english.
When the DroidFish documentation talks about "SD card" it means the internal SD card, which on modern devices is typically not an SD card at all, just an "emulated SD card". In the filesystem, this usually has a path "/sdcard/" and "/storage/emulated/0". It is in this directory that DroidFish creates the empty directories DroidFish/book, DroidFish/uci, etc. In order for the things mentioned in the manual to work, you need to put your files in those directories.

It is possible to use an external SD card for some features, but the support is incomplete.

Tablebase access works if you enter the full path manually, because only read-only access is needed for TB access.

It is possible to use one (but not more than one) opening book placed on the external SD card, but it requires entering the full path in the preferences setting. Once you have entered the path, you must not use the "select opening book" feature, since that will overwrite the preferences setting.

It is possible to load but not save PGN games on the external SD card if you have the OI file manager app installed. Writing to external SD cards has become more complicated in later Android versions. It is no longer sufficient to request the "write external storage" permission.
retep1

Post by retep1 »

petero2 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:45 pm It is possible to use one (but not more than one) opening book placed on the external SD card, but it requires entering the full path in the preferences setting. Once you have entered the path, you must not use the "select opening book" feature, since that will overwrite the preferences setting.
thx for clarification - now it works for me.