Rodent III personalities <2000 Elo?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PeterO

Rodent III personalities <2000 Elo?

Post by PeterO »

Hi,

I am VERY interested in the Rodent III personalities! Has anybody designed weaker personalities - under Elo 2000?

Peter
PK

Re: Rodent III personalities <2000 Elo?

Post by PK »

PK

Post by PK »

In general, Rodent achieves weaker play by (1) slower nodes per second and (2) adding pseudo-random factor to evaluation function (based on hash keys for consistency, but modified from game to game to avoid repetitiveness). Relevant functions are EloToSpeed() and EloToBlur() in params.cpp.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Pawel,
Thanks for your answer! I read your manual carefully. You wrote NPS about 5000 purs Rodent somewhere within 1600-1800 elo range - I understand this is NOT an exact number. But is this number independent of the hardware used?
You wrote the 2 main factors to weaken the engine are NPS and EvalBlur - I have no idea whta EvalBlur means - wich number do you recomend to set for EvalBlur to reach 1700, 1900, 2000 Elo?

Peter
PK

Post by PK »

EvalBlur is pseudo-random factor added to eval. In general, I do not use it for personalities above 1500 Elo, with one funny exception: "Drunk" personality with EvalBlur of 500 and unrestricted search.

NPS to Elo ratio for Rodent will never be exact, because eval tweaks also change Elo, often in a strange way. For example, weak personalities gain from exaggerated aggresion, while strong ones do not.

Also, I forgot to mention that Rodent is able to respond to UCI_Elo command.
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hi Pawel,

„Also, I forgot to mention that Rodent is able to respond to UCI_Elo command.“

Thats interesting - that means:
1. I dońt have to change EvalBlur creating personalities above 1500 Elo.
2. I can create personlities how I like them and dont change NPS. Instead I can simply set the Elo in the UCI options? Do I understand you correctly - I would prefer this way (using the GUI)to weaken the engine.

Peter