First ply of a big fail high. But it's looking grim for white

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
jp

Re: First ply of a big fail high. But it's looking grim for white

Post by jp » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 pm
Yes, not one PV possible, but many moves, all with a good score but none showing real progress.
A correspondence game from the initial diagram:

We might assume they used strong engines, though the year isn't given, so this might be an important line if not the one PV.

Eelco de Groot

Post by Eelco de Groot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks Jean Paul, interesting that this was actually a game. I think they may have used computers but not always typical computer moves, or at least not always what Stockfish would have played. But I only did a quick blundercheck. Then again, I don't know because a Savo Scanto on ICCF only is rated 1452. A Piotr Krol 1660 (but that might be different players, I see only a single game but not this game with a quick Google check.)

I don't think White was in real danger but I wonder if White really planned this :) Curious what year this was and if they used computers :)
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan

jp

Post by jp » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:09 pm
I looked at the ICCF ratings list, and W. Krol (White) is rated 2226. (Top-10 players are rated 2622+.) M. Santo (Black) doesn't appear on the list. I think it'd need a good CC database to find the game, but it must have been computer-assisted. It's just a question of whether it was e.g. 2006-era engines or 2018-era.

I have more to post later, e.g. SF's eval of the final position.