Question for Nelson Hernandez - TCEC power consumption

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: Question for Nelson Hernandez - TCEC power consumption

Post by jorose »

The power draw from the TCEC GPU machine will almost certainly be higher than from the CPU machine, but I don't know by how much exactly.

Are you asking out of general curiosity or is there something specific you are interested in?
-Jonathan
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

jorose wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:20 am The power draw from the TCEC GPU machine will almost certainly be higher than from the CPU machine, but I don't know by how much exactly.

Are you asking out of general curiosity or is there something specific you are interested in?
Tom's hardware has some GPU stress tests. Depending on how good the batching in lco is, this could give you a reasonable upper limit:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nv ... 05-10.html

It shows 277 - 279 watts for the RTX 2080 ti.

I should have a pretty fast 16 core machine (the water cooler leaked, so it it being repaired), sometime late this week, and could run a couple of tests with my trusty Kill-o-watt. If you have recommended settings with lc0 I could try setting it up and seeing what the total draws, and compare it with Komodo on 16 cores.

Mark
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

I am not sure about TCEC power draw.

For what it's worth, under load, the CCC hardware pulls 680 watts (CPU machine), 1550 watts (GPU machine).
With no engines running the CPU machine pulls 200 watts.

modolief wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 pm Question: What is the precise power draw from the A/B machine and the NN machine in the current TCEC 15 Superfinal? We can calculate this value based on hardware specs, but I want to know based on actual measurements, such as with a Kill-A-Watt or similar. Even better, I'd like to see a power use graph during a game, as we used to see with NPS and EGTB hits. Maybe not during the live display, but some discussion in the TCEC 15 summary document would be nice -- I read through the PDF for TCEC 14 and didn't see any coverage of this.

Related Question: When running two machines, how do they communicate their moves? I haven't seen this documented either.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Jesse Gersenson wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:24 pm I am not sure about TCEC power draw.

For what it's worth, under load, the CCC hardware pulls 680 watts (CPU machine), 1550 watts (GPU machine).
With no engines running the CPU machine pulls 200 watts.

modolief wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:30 pm Question: What is the precise power draw from the A/B machine and the NN machine in the current TCEC 15 Superfinal? We can calculate this value based on hardware specs, but I want to know based on actual measurements, such as with a Kill-A-Watt or similar. Even better, I'd like to see a power use graph during a game, as we used to see with NPS and EGTB hits. Maybe not during the live display, but some discussion in the TCEC 15 summary document would be nice -- I read through the PDF for TCEC 14 and didn't see any coverage of this.

Related Question: When running two machines, how do they communicate their moves? I haven't seen this documented either.
Interesting. Is your measurement from the A/C side (true power draw) or the DC side of the power supply.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.