Komodo 13 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Komodo 13 released

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo 13.01 has been released at komodochess.com. Elo gains since the last release, version 12.3, are about ten elo in standard mode, 30 elo in MCTS single thread mode, and over 40 elo in MCTS multi-thread mode. Since the last annual version, Komodo 12, elo gains in MCTS mode are in the 300 to 400 elo range depending on time control and number of threads. We predict that the MCTS version will earn a rating around 3440 on CCRL blitz, and that on most lists it will be ahead of all other CPU engines except for Stockfish, normal Komodo, and Houdini.
While the default mode is still the strongest one for engine vs engine play, the MCTS mode is now stronger whenever MultiPV is set to 2 or more. Since most people use MultiPV for analysis and since the MCTS mode tends to produce more "human" moves because it does not assume that the opponent will play perfectly (by its criteria), we feel that the MCTS mode is now the more useful one for the majority of users, except perhaps for correspondence players. According to my tests, Komodo 13.01 MCTS can now defeat any CPU based engine, including recent Stockfish, if both are set to use MultiPV of 6 or more. This is because Komodo MCTS pays no performance penalty for obtaining this information, while normal alpha-beta engines pay a very heavy price to give analysis for several moves. For users who don't have a good GPU and who use high values of MultiPV, Komodo 13 MCTS should be the strongest engine available regardless of price.
Pricing remains the same (free for subscribers), and we give 20% discount for anyone who bought Komodo 12 or later version or any subscription that included Komodo 12. We have now made Komodo 10 free, and have made Komodo 11 available at a 70% discount. Anyone who bought Komodo 12.3 on or after April 15 can get a free upgrade to Komodo 13.01 on request.
We anticipate continued development of both versions, which may be separated at some future date. Subscribers will get both for a year. Our priority is the MCTS version, but we often find ideas that help both versions. The gap between them is getting rather small (see chess.com computer chess championship to illustrate) and there is no theoretical reason why Komodo MCTS can't pass normal Komodo even without MultiPV use.
Komodo rules!
Dann Corbit

Re: Komodo 13 released

Post by Dann Corbit »

Fabulous news.
I just got my copy. Can't wait to give it a whirl
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

So is any komodo likely to win the next TCEC already?
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

All Komodo are much below Stockfish right now. Around 60 elo at very least in TCEC condition.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Thanks Larry.

Where do I set MultiPV under the Shredder GUI?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

JJJ wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:22 am All Komodo are much below Stockfish right now. Around 60 elo at very least in TCEC condition.
That's what i thought.
So is komodo trying to hold down the elo of its standard engine just to give time for mcts to catch up with it?
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

S.Taylor wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 am
JJJ wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:22 am All Komodo are much below Stockfish right now. Around 60 elo at very least in TCEC condition.
That's what i thought.
So is komodo trying to hold down the elo of its standard engine just to give time for mcts to catch up with it?
Komodo can be nice for analysis. I tend to use stockfish as that is default in some of my apps. But at some point does everything have to be Stockfish? It's a closed system. It may have that 50 point edge or what it's at now but it's still one source of moves. I think there is some value in using more than one engine and not just the one that has the lead on measured game strength.

Edit: for S.Taylor and JJJ, this is what your posts got me thinking but i'm not necessarily suggesting you both think only the stronger rating engine should be used.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Anyone can use any engine, I don't mind about it. If you prefer Komodo it is ok to me. Each engine adds something.
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 am Komodo 13.01 has been released at komodochess.com. Elo gains since the last release, version 12.3, are about ten elo in standard mode, 30 elo in MCTS single thread mode, and over 40 elo in MCTS multi-thread mode. Since the last annual version, Komodo 12, elo gains in MCTS mode are in the 300 to 400 elo range depending on time control and number of threads. We predict that the MCTS version will earn a rating around 3440 on CCRL blitz, and that on most lists it will be ahead of all other CPU engines except for Stockfish, normal Komodo, and Houdini.
While the default mode is still the strongest one for engine vs engine play, the MCTS mode is now stronger whenever MultiPV is set to 2 or more. Since most people use MultiPV for analysis and since the MCTS mode tends to produce more "human" moves because it does not assume that the opponent will play perfectly (by its criteria), we feel that the MCTS mode is now the more useful one for the majority of users, except perhaps for correspondence players. According to my tests, Komodo 13.01 MCTS can now defeat any CPU based engine, including recent Stockfish, if both are set to use MultiPV of 6 or more. This is because Komodo MCTS pays no performance penalty for obtaining this information, while normal alpha-beta engines pay a very heavy price to give analysis for several moves. For users who don't have a good GPU and who use high values of MultiPV, Komodo 13 MCTS should be the strongest engine available regardless of price.
Pricing remains the same (free for subscribers), and we give 20% discount for anyone who bought Komodo 12 or later version or any subscription that included Komodo 12. We have now made Komodo 10 free, and have made Komodo 11 available at a 70% discount. Anyone who bought Komodo 12.3 on or after April 15 can get a free upgrade to Komodo 13.01 on request.
We anticipate continued development of both versions, which may be separated at some future date. Subscribers will get both for a year. Our priority is the MCTS version, but we often find ideas that help both versions. The gap between them is getting rather small (see chess.com computer chess championship to illustrate) and there is no theoretical reason why Komodo MCTS can't pass normal Komodo even without MultiPV use.
Well done. Keep it up.!
Amstaff

Post by Amstaff »

Hello Larry, I just downloaded both version 64 and 32. Win 64 seems to work fine on my machine, but Win 32 has an issue in my older laptop running windows 7. The engine does not seem to start or show any analysis in both GUIs I loaded it in (SCID and Deep Shredder 13).
Maybe someone else has this issue, if not I will simply try another download.
Best wishes,
Gerald