Playing against a DGT board

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Re: Playing against a DGT board

Post by adams161 »

adams161 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am
hgm wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:05 pm Well, as I understood it this is what they are doing now, but it is unsatisfactory because it needed two laptops.
The one benefit of chess for android i saw here was it would be one laptop and one android device. the headband user could user his laptop and the headband and a chess gui to play the other guy over the internet. Now the other guy could use what he has now, a computer. or if it was more handy, his android phone or a club tablet and a DGT board.
Guest play is possible on both FICS and ICC if club members don't have handles. Aart might need to tweak the UI to more specifically track challenges not just seeks. Not sure if he is doing that.
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

hgm wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:27 amIt seems the 'head band' is only supported on Windows, unfortunately.
That is unfortunate, and also a bit surprising, since Android has a lot of "accessibility" support, and something like the head band would fit right in. But yes, in that case, Chess for Android has little to offer here. Like Mike suggested, it can be used at the DGT side just because phones or tablets are more convenient than laptops or desktops, but it brings no additional functionality to the table. Sorry I could not be of more help.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

hgm wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:34 pm I was asked the following question, which I could not answer myself:

A Chess club that has an almost totally paralyzed member wants him to play against other members through the combination of a laptop and a DGT board. The idea is that the healthy members use the DGT board, to simulate normal conditions as much as possible, while the paralyzed person would operate the laptop through a 'head band' (which he apparently can do; don't ask me what it is), running a GUI on it.

They already tried to use Fritz or Shredder GUI, which have DGT support. But it appears these only support the DGT board playing against an engine. While what we need here is the human user of the GUI playing against the DGT board. A driver that would make the DGT board appear like it is an engine would solve the problem, as the GUI could then simply select human-engine mode, using the DGT board as engine. But I don't know if something like that exist. (For Windows!)

Does any of you DGT-board owners/users know a solution to this problem?
I believe you best bet is to ask your question here. This is DGT/Pi forum, but they do so some pretty amazing things. Somebody can figure this out for you.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/picochess