Help question on compiling engines for old systems like Windows 98

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spacious_Mind

Help question on compiling engines for old systems like Windows 98

Post by Spacious_Mind »

I have a question, which perhaps someone here can help with. I am searching a compiler preferably:

mingw32 4.7.2
mingw 3.4.2

I have been trying to get a friend of mine to compile an engine of his to work with Windows 98 and the above two seem to work because I know they have been previously used to compile chess engines to work with Windows 98.

Does anyone here happen to have these compilers or anything else that could do the trick which they could share.

Another reason for this question is that recently I built my DOSBox with Windows 98 which allows me to play engines under Arena and Fritz 8 up to equivalent speeds of a Pentium 400 which works great for matches against dedicated chess computers and it actually at this speed allows me to keep up with them and even play them with some success.

You can see a link here at Hiarcs Chess Forum where I posted about this:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9456

Some one back in 2015 successfully created a compile of Stockfish 6 which works great under DOSBox Windows 98 and still plays super strong, probably over 3000 ELO.

Who knows perhaps some of you programmers might be interested in compiling some of your modern engines to work with 32 Bit Windows 98. The above mentioned compilers should work if some one has them as mingw32 4.7.2 was used for Windows 98 and mingw 3.4.2 supposedly also works with Windows 95.

BTW the beauty of DOSBox Windows 98 is that you can control the speed of your tournament where anyone around the world who has the same can join in and regardless of your hardware everyone plays at the same setting. Below is an example of a tournament I am currently involved in using DOSBox Windows 95 and DOSBox Windows 3.11:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9352&start=90

Thanks for your help and retro-gaming regards
Nick
MikeGL

Re: Help question on compiling engines for old systems like Windows 98

Post by MikeGL »

The free C++ Borland builder can do executables for Win95 and Win98 up to XP and Win7. Just google bcc32. Free but have not checked what type of C++ standards it can handle. I have successfully compiled crafty and SF around 2011 using that old Borland compiler.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Spacious_Mind

Post by Spacious_Mind »

MikeGL wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:26 am The free C++ Borland builder can do executables for Win95 and Win98 up to XP and Win7. Just google bcc32. Free but have not checked what type of C++ standards it can handle. I have successfully compiled crafty and SF around 2011 using that old Borland compiler.
Hi Mike,

Thanks I will pass it along to my friend. I found a site that has available for download.

Appreciative regards

Nick
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Sorry for the bump. What is the approximate strength of SF 12 port running on Pentium 1 or 2 from the 1990 ?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

If it is possible to run stockfish 12 on dos , we could run it in dosbox and setup speed
The way we wish.

So we could then run Stockfish 12 on XT or AT hardware and see how it plays.

E.g. Stockfish 12 with 8 MHz on XT cpu.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mclane wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:22 pm If it is possible to run stockfish 12 on dos , we could run it in dosbox and setup speed
The way we wish.

So we could then run Stockfish 12 on XT or AT hardware and see how it plays.

E.g. Stockfish 12 with 8 MHz on XT cpu.
640K is not enough for Stockfish 12 :mrgreen:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

But there is EMM and XMS . Use a driver....
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mclane wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:32 pm But there is EMM and XMS . Use a driver....
Can MS-DOS run 32-bit code?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

mclane wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:22 pm If it is possible to run stockfish 12 on dos , we could run it in dosbox and setup speed
The way we wish.
This look interesting:
http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

I've just managed to make it boot as a "Generic XT clone" with an 8088 at 4.77mhz, but I guess I need a disk image with DOS or something similar. It seems it can also emulate less ancient CPUs.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am Sorry for the bump. What is the approximate strength of SF 12 port running on Pentium 1 or 2 from the 1990 ?
Some approximations here :
http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtop ... =6&t=72485
http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtop ... =2&t=63857

A version close to SF 11 was around 3035 at 20 kn/s.
A Pentium 75 would run SF 11 at speed around 6 kn/s. Rating for SF 11 on this P75 would be around 2900-2950.
SF 12 is around 50 RP over SF 11.