What CPU or GPU has the best time to depth?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

What CPU or GPU has the best time to depth?

Post by Leo »

I am wondering what setup would give the best time to depth for infinite analysis. I hear a lot about fewer but faster cores. Also, how does lczero in compare with SF in time to depth?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Robert Pope

Re: What CPU or GPU has the best time to depth?

Post by Robert Pope »

There isn't really a meaningful way to compare time to depth for Lc0 with Stockfish. You are better off treating GPU engines as a separate domain.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Leo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 pm I am wondering what setup would give the best time to depth for infinite analysis. I hear a lot about fewer but faster cores. Also, how does lczero in compare with SF in time to depth?
Depths reported by LC0 are much lower than those reported by Stockfish. So the depth figure tells you very little.
The fastest time to ply engine is an older version of exchess.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 pm
Leo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 pm I am wondering what setup would give the best time to depth for infinite analysis. I hear a lot about fewer but faster cores. Also, how does lczero in compare with SF in time to depth?
Depths reported by LC0 are much lower than those reported by Stockfish. So the depth figure tells you very little.
The fastest time to ply engine is an older version of exchess.
Yes, but each ply gives exactly 83.74 Elo points strength for every engine. It's a well established fact since 1970s.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I was convinced that TTD was more important than nodes per second.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.