lc0 and opening book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Canoike

lc0 and opening book

Post by Canoike »

Hello,
Does it make sense to use lc0 with a GUI opening book ? abK or bin
Thanks.
jp

Re: lc0 and opening book

Post by jp »

That depends what you mean by "make sense".

Are you thinking of playing strength?
Canoike

Post by Canoike »

I mean : is an opening book useful for a normal fast game ?
Or is it so strong it doesn't need one.
jp

Post by jp »

If the opening book's moves are equal to the moves it makes itself, then the book will save time because those moves will be played instantly.

The best opening book will have objectively better moves than it can play by itself, especially at fast time controls.

But it is much better playing certain openings than others, so if you chose a good opening book that does not suit it, then it'd play good opening theory but end up in positions it's bad at.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Canoike wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:01 am Hello,
Does it make sense to use lc0 with a GUI opening book ? abK or bin
Thanks.
Due to the time issues at fast time controls I've been using a opening book to "help it along".. based on what I have seen No E-4 lines...mostly c-4 or d-4 with the white pieces...closed stuff with the black pieces..the more complex and unorthodox the better..engine likes to attack with either black or white..not too many opening book moves..maybe 7-10 not too deep
though..defeats the purpose of this type of "chess program"... :) :wink:
jp

Post by jp »

supersharp77 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:52 am ... based on what I have seen No E-4 lines...mostly c-4 or d-4 with the white pieces...closed stuff with the black pieces..the more complex and unorthodox the better..
But not gambits or highly tactical stuff. And not so unorthodox it leads to 2 queens each side. And nothing that goes straight to difficult endgames, unless it goes straight to 6-men endgames, when you can bypass it by giving it TBs as well as your opening book. :wink: