A repository for commonly used free computer chess apps, engines, opening books, and utilities

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sincerelybrent
Full name: Brent M

A repository for commonly used free computer chess apps, engines, opening books, and utilities

Post by sincerelybrent »

There are so many good computer chess programs, test suites, engines, opening books, and utilities out there. Finding them is sometimes hard. Links are frequently dead-ends or the program is so old, the link is no longer valid. I've uploaded some of the common or hard-to-find programs, test suites, etc., to my chess club's public download section, which will not be disappearing any time soon. Message me (or post it here) if you think something belongs up there. I'd hate for us to lose access to a good program, just because it didn't have a home.

Cheers,
Carlos777

Re: A repository for commonly used free computer chess apps, engines, opening books, and utilities

Post by Carlos777 »

Thanks!

In Engines section, I would include Laser 1.7
In Apps section, Cutechess GUI and Winboard should be included.
In Opening Books, I would include Sedat's Top50, Top100, etc.
sincerelybrent

Re: A repository for commonly used free computer chess apps, engines, opening books, and utilities

Post by sincerelybrent »

Carlos777 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 am Thanks!

In Engines section, I would include Laser 1.7
In Apps section, Cutechess GUI and Winboard should be included.
In Opening Books, I would include Sedat's Top50, Top100, etc.
Good suggestions. I've added CuteChess and Winboard. Are Sedat's "Top50, Top 100, etc." books different than his Balsa Top 50, etc., (which have already been uploaded to this repository)?
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

sincerelybrent wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm Are Sedat's "Top50, Top 100, etc." books different than his Balsa Top 50, etc., (which have already been uploaded to this repository)?
Yes, they are different.

I can't find these suites on his website. I share them, in case you want to check them out:
Last edited by Carlos777 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

sincerelybrent wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm Are Sedat's "Top50, Top 100, etc." books different than his Balsa Top 50, etc., (which have already been uploaded to this repository)?
Yes, they are different.

I can't find these suites on his website. I share them, in case you want to check them out:

https://ufile.io/mahf1
sincerelybrent

Post by sincerelybrent »

Carlos777 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:37 am
Yes, they are different.

https://ufile.io/mahf1
Added them. Thank you
Javier Ros
Full name: Javier Ros

Post by Javier Ros »

Very good idea!
Thanks for share.
sincerelybrent wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 am There are so many good computer chess programs, test suites, engines, opening books, and utilities out there. Finding them is sometimes hard. Links are frequently dead-ends or the program is so old, the link is no longer valid. I've uploaded some of the common or hard-to-find programs, test suites, etc., to my chess club's public download section, which will not be disappearing any time soon. Message me (or post it here) if you think something belongs up there. I'd hate for us to lose access to a good program, just because it didn't have a home.

Cheers,