Arena frustrations

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sincerelybrent
Full name: Brent M

Arena frustrations

Post by sincerelybrent »

Can any of you tell me how to make it so Arena doesn't show the PGN list of games window every time a tournament starts? I see two options, and neither makes a difference. The options I try are under Options > Appearance > PGN: Close PGN-window when loading game, and Minimize PGN-window after loading. When I check the box beside either of them, separately or both, click Apply, then re-start Arena, then start a tournament, the PGN window still shows. I've looked all over in that program. Is this a problem w/ v. 3.5.1? It's the most "recent," correct? Any help is apprecieated. Thank you
gerhard

Re: Arena frustrations

Post by gerhard »

got the same issue some time ago.
What really helped me was: statusbar above - pgn - close
When started Arena again the pgn-windows has gone.
Hope it will help you
http://faceblitz.feste-ip.net:56132 (server sometimes sleeps - try later )
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

sincerelybrent wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:51 am Can any of you tell me how to make it so Arena doesn't show the PGN list of games window every time a tournament starts? I see two options, and neither makes a difference. The options I try are under Options > Appearance > PGN: Close PGN-window when loading game, and Minimize PGN-window after loading. When I check the box beside either of them, separately or both, click Apply, then re-start Arena, then start a tournament, the PGN window still shows. I've looked all over in that program. Is this a problem w/ v. 3.5.1? It's the most "recent," correct? Any help is apprecieated. Thank you
Cannot be disabled but can be minimized. Looks like this is by design, the idea is to see which game in the pgn file is being played during tournament, specially useful when positions from pgn file is used randomly.

gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Cannot be disabled but can be minimized. Looks like this is by design, the idea is to see which game in the pgn file is being played during tournament, specially useful when positions from pgn file is used randomly.
dont think so - otherwise the available switch "options/appearance/pgn/load/close pgn-window when started" would make no sense, but who knows?
http://faceblitz.feste-ip.net:56132 (server sometimes sleeps - try later )
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

gerhard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 pm
dont think so - otherwise the available switch "options/appearance/pgn/load/close pgn-window when started" would make no sense, but who knows?
There is no such thing as "load/close pgn-window when started"

All of those check boxes in the Load label will not stop showing the pgn box, when starting a tournament. If it is not a tournament, we can disable showing of pgn box.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

you are right, i meant the switch "reload last pgn-file when arena starts". If disabled the pgn-window should not start .... imo
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

gerhard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm you are right, i meant the switch "reload last pgn-file when arena starts". If disabled the pgn-window should not start .... imo
That one is correct when not starting a tournament using pgn file.
sincerelybrent
Full name: Brent M

Post by sincerelybrent »

Ferdy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm
gerhard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:50 pm you are right, i meant the switch "reload last pgn-file when arena starts". If disabled the pgn-window should not start .... imo
Is there anything that can be done to suppress or stop the window from appearing when a tournament is started with a pgn file? Thanks,
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Maybe using arena 201
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

sincerelybrent wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 pm
Ferdy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm
Is there anything that can be done to suppress or stop the window from appearing when a tournament is started with a pgn file? Thanks,
It is really just a one click to minimize that box. Is there any particular reason why you want to suppress it?
Perhaps you can try winboard and cutechess.