New Engine: Allie (NN)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Re: New Engine: Allie (NN)

Post by supersharp77 »

gonzochess75 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:12 pm Hello Everyone,

As you might have seen on CCC 6, I've written a new engine named Allie: https://github.com/manyoso/allie

Just wanted to say hello as I'm new to this forum. So... hello!

Cheers :)
Excellent idea....you may be on the right track....will need cpu (blas) and gpu (cuda) binaries for engine testing
Thx AR :D :wink:
gonzochess75
Full name: Adam Treat

Post by gonzochess75 »

Hi Folks,

Some of you were asking for pre-compiled binaries for Windows. Well, you can find them on https://www.patreon.com/gonzochess75 for becoming a patron to help support more robust testing of NPS on multi-gpu systems via Vast.ai.

Cheers!
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Graham Banks wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 pm
Guenther wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm
Eduard wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 pm Thank you! I see the engine play at CCC. :D Which NN is used?
I see it uses plain NN ID 32930 from LC0...

from CCC: (emphasizing by me)

Allie USA
Version 0.1 (net 32930)
Rating 3100
https://github.com/manyoso/allie
Developed by:
Adam Treat
Allie is a new and original chess engine heavily inspired by the seminal AlphaZero paper and the Lc0 project.
It uses the Lc0 networks, but with custom built search, hash, move generation, threading, and time management.
In the future, Allie is expected to use A/B search instead of MCTS.
Created 2018
Is the engine available to download? If so, I can't see the link.
When AllieStein played on Div 4 it was not performing as good using the MCTS and without EGTB, but on the second part it switched to A/B search and it won all of its games except one single lost.
Who is 17 years old GM Gukesh 2nd at the Candidate in Toronto?
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... t-9281394/
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:54 am When AllieStein played on Div 4 it was not performing as good using the MCTS and without EGTB, but on the second part it switched to A/B search and it won all of its games except one single lost.
You mean the engine was changed during the running division?
I don't think so, maybe between Div 4's start from divided groups and its final battle of the upward- climbers of the groups?
Peter.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

peter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:28 am
Chessqueen wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:54 am When AllieStein played on Div 4 it was not performing as good using the MCTS and without EGTB, but on the second part it switched to A/B search and it won all of its games except one single lost.
You mean the engine was changed during the running division?
I don't think so, maybe between Div 4's start from divided groups and its final battle of the upward- climbers of the groups?
In TCEC chat it was confirmed by both the author and an admin that there was no update of Allie+Stein between beginning of TCEC S15 Div4b and end of Div4 playoffs. So the better playoff results might be explainable by small sample size/different opponents/different openings etc.
Sven Schüle (engine author: Jumbo, KnockOut, Surprise)
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Sven wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:09 pm In TCEC chat it was confirmed by both the author and an admin that there was no update of Allie+Stein between beginning of TCEC S15 Div4b and end of Div4 playoffs. So the better playoff results might be explainable by small sample size/different opponents/different openings etc.
Thanks, Sven!
Peter.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Only difference was that Allie had Alpha Beta search enabled and buggy MCTS which caused Allie to play bad was disabled... :) :)
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

which explained why Allie was playing much better with 7 won games and only 1 lost.
gonzochess75
Full name: Adam Treat

Post by gonzochess75 »

Allie does not have AlphaBeta search enabled. That will be in a future release. There was no update of Allie between div4b and div4 playoff. The results were also consistent between div4b and div4 when taking into account small sample size and head2head matches against AS and pira in div4b.