Numerous Bad w64 x64 Engine Compiles..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Numerous Bad w64 x64 Engine Compiles..

Post by supersharp77 »

Have had w64 Laptop for a couple of weeks now and frankly was very suprised by how many of the windows 64 compiles
x64 w64 etc are not working...numerous "engine error messages" missing dll messages in a few and many engine do the same thing..when you click on them they stay open for a short while..15 seconds or so then slowly close down...none of the Crafty w64 compiles (21.6-25.3) seem to be working with wb2uci adapter or as pure winboard engines (Shredder Gui) Here is a list of some of the Engines...Amundsen 0.80 & 0.651...(no moves)...Amoeba v2.0 (crashes)...Apollo (no moves)...Atom Fish
(load error)....Bison 9.8 (no moves)...Brutus 8.05 (no moves) Bumblebee 1.0 (load error)....Capivara w64 (load error)
Chess_w64 (load error) Chesskiss (no moves) ChessV (no moves) Cinnamon 2.0 (load error) Clunk 1.1 (system error)
Crafty w64 'All" (no moves) ct800 (no moves) Deep Gandalf 7 (no moves..engine crashes)...Open Tal (no engine name is appropriate place) (chessbase)...Dorky 4.6 (no moves)...Excalibur (no moves)...Fruitfly w64 (load error)...Ghost 2 Ghost 3(no moves) Joko Tele (load error).....Maverick 1.5 (load error)..Nawito 1812 (no moves)...Pigeon 1.37 (load error)
Rodent III (multiple load errors various compiles)....Shield 1.3 (Name too long for chessbase)...Tornado 7 & 8 (no moves, engine load error)...Vitruvius 1.14 1.1 & 1.0 (engine load error) Xiphos 0.1, 1.1 load error, no gen w64 compiles)
Xonafish (load error).......Thx AR :D :wink:
MikeB

Re: Numerous Bad w64 x64 Engine Compiles..

Post by MikeB »

supersharp77 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 am Have had w64 Laptop for a couple of weeks now and frankly was very suprised by how many of the windows 64 compiles
x64 w64 etc are not working...numerous "engine error messages" missing dll messages in a few and many engine do the same thing..when you click on them they stay open for a short while..15 seconds or so then slowly close down...none of the Crafty w64 compiles (21.6-25.3) seem to be working with wb2uci adapter or as pure winboard engines (Shredder Gui) Here is a list of some of the Engines...Amundsen 0.80 & 0.651...(no moves)...Amoeba v2.0 (crashes)...Apollo (no moves)...Atom Fish
(load error)....Bison 9.8 (no moves)...Brutus 8.05 (no moves) Bumblebee 1.0 (load error)....Capivara w64 (load error)
Chess_w64 (load error) Chesskiss (no moves) ChessV (no moves) Cinnamon 2.0 (load error) Clunk 1.1 (system error)
Crafty w64 'All" (no moves) ct800 (no moves) Deep Gandalf 7 (no moves..engine crashes)...Open Tal (no engine name is appropriate place) (chessbase)...Dorky 4.6 (no moves)...Excalibur (no moves)...Fruitfly w64 (load error)...Ghost 2 Ghost 3(no moves) Joko Tele (load error).....Maverick 1.5 (load error)..Nawito 1812 (no moves)...Pigeon 1.37 (load error)
Rodent III (multiple load errors various compiles)....Shield 1.3 (Name too long for chessbase)...Tornado 7 & 8 (no moves, engine load error)...Vitruvius 1.14 1.1 & 1.0 (engine load error) Xiphos 0.1, 1.1 load error, no gen w64 compiles)
Xonafish (load error).......Thx AR :D :wink:
I do not know about most of your engines posted, but Shredder is not a pure Winboard GUI, it uses an adapter for Winboard engines. Best best is maybe try Arena or Winboard with Crafty. When I use to have windows machine, best bet is to compile yourself, they will usually work them. I believe many of the engines listed are no longer actively updated. Some of the 32 bit versions may work, even on your 64 bit machine.Good luck!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

supersharp77 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 amct800 (no moves)
That works also under Shredder GUI, I'm using that myself. However, the only Winboard version of the CT800 was V1.11 from 06/2017. All subsequent versions (i.e. also the current V1.34) are UCI only and must be installed as UCI engine.

What happens when you click the CT800 executable directly? A text window should open with three info lines. If you enter "UCI" (without the quotations), the engine options should be displayed. If you then enter "go movetime 1000", it should give a bestmove.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

It looks like a mix of different problems here.

Some engines aren't distributed with required DLL files (Joko Tele). Some require command line parameters to be specified in your wb2uci.eng file:

Amundsen xboard
ChessV "Orthodox Chess"
Chess 4.1a -xboard
Ghost --xboard

I have had stability issues with a few of these engines (Apollo 1.2 crashes, but 1.2.1 seems OK for me). Deep Gandalf 7 is supposed to be Winboard/UCI, but I have only ever had luck running it as a UCI engine.

Shield 1.3 prints out
id name Shield 1.3 author Ripamonti Luigi Marco
when the UCI command is issued. The name and author should have been specified seperately, like:
id name Shield 1.3
id author Ripamonti Luigi Marco

You can use the InBetween utility to filter out the too long engine name. The contents of your InBetween.ini file should be:

Code: Select all

[InBetween]
CommandLine := C:\Games\Chess\Winboard\Shield_1.3\Shield.exe

[Client2Server]

[Server2Client]
id name Shield 1.3 author Ripamonti Luigi Marco := id name Shield 1.3\nid author Ripamonti Luigi Marco

Replace the command line with the full path and exe name of Shield 1.3 on your system. If you don't already have InBetween, you can get it from:
http://komodochess.com/pub/InBetween-ver-1.5.zip

I am not sure about why you are having problems with the other engines. Is your system capable of running engines that use popcount?
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

tmokonen wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:46 pm It looks like a mix of different problems here.

Some engines aren't distributed with required DLL files (Joko Tele). Some require command line parameters to be specified in your wb2uci.eng file:

Amundsen xboard
ChessV "Orthodox Chess"
Chess 4.1a -xboard
Ghost --xboard

I have had stability issues with a few of these engines (Apollo 1.2 crashes, but 1.2.1 seems OK for me). Deep Gandalf 7 is supposed to be Winboard/UCI, but I have only ever had luck running it as a UCI engine.

Shield 1.3 prints out
id name Shield 1.3 author Ripamonti Luigi Marco
when the UCI command is issued. The name and author should have been specified seperately, like:
id name Shield 1.3
id author Ripamonti Luigi Marco

You can use the InBetween utility to filter out the too long engine name. The contents of your InBetween.ini file should be:

Code: Select all

[InBetween]
CommandLine := C:\Games\Chess\Winboard\Shield_1.3\Shield.exe

[Client2Server]

[Server2Client]
id name Shield 1.3 author Ripamonti Luigi Marco := id name Shield 1.3\nid author Ripamonti Luigi Marco

Replace the command line with the full path and exe name of Shield 1.3 on your system. If you don't already have InBetween, you can get it from:
http://komodochess.com/pub/InBetween-ver-1.5.zip

I am not sure about why you are having problems with the other engines. Is your system capable of running engines that use popcount?
Thanks Tony..Your the best....In between?...I used it quite a bit with Chess Genius gui making engines work..but frankly it is quite time consuming and gives me a headache :D :wink: Shortened Shield 1.3 so it now is running..Gandalf 7.0 runs for while then crashes...Joko Tele.....what are the dlls it needs? Chess V....I'll get it working..just takes some time..
Amundsen..ditto chess 4.1a..ditto.....just takes some time....had hundreds and thousands of engines to transfer and get running in a new machine while testing out LC0(Leela) at the same time...thank goodness had a little free time for a couple of weeks...you never get caught up...there is always something new coming down the pipeline.. :wink: :D
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Shield 2.1 is the latest version.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 pm Shield 2.1 is the latest version.
For some strange reason...only 1.3 will load and that one had the authors name where the engine name was supposed to be.
2.0 and 2.1 not working....nopopcnt..w64 :(