AMD RYZEN 2950 Speed issue

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

viditchess

AMD RYZEN 2950 Speed issue

Post by viditchess »

Hello to the chess community here!

Recently I built a new PC. The specs are as follows.
AMD RYZEN Threadripper 2950X
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080
X399 AOURS PRO Motherboard.
KrakenX62 Liquid cooling.
16x2 DDR4 RAM.

The problem seems to be the speed with Stockfish10. On 16CPUs and 32CPUs I get almost the same speed. Could anyone point on what is the problem here? Attaching the pictures.

Secondly, How to see if everything is working okay with LC0? What are the settings that I should use?

Thanks a lot for all the help! :)
Grandmaster 2617
mwyoung

Re: AMD RYZEN 2950 Speed issue

Post by mwyoung »

viditchess wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 pm Hello to the chess community here!

Recently I built a new PC. The specs are as follows.
AMD RYZEN Threadripper 2950X
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080
X399 AOURS PRO Motherboard.
KrakenX62 Liquid cooling.
16x2 DDR4 RAM.

The problem seems to be the speed with Stockfish10. On 16CPUs and 32CPUs I get almost the same speed. Could anyone point on what is the problem here? Attaching the pictures.

Secondly, How to see if everything is working okay with LC0? What are the settings that I should use?

Thanks a lot for all the help! :)
I should be able to help. Just built a similar system this weekend.

1. Run cinebench and give me your multicore score.
2. Go to the amd site and download and install the x399 chipset drive and the ryzen master software. This will fix the windows 10 power plan. After you install you should see in the windows 10 power plan. A new option called ryzen balanced plan.
3. Give me a screen shot of the current settings showing in the ryzen master software. So I can see how your bios is configured.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

Thanks for the reply! Here are the results. Regarding point no.2 I downloaded the chipset driver and it indeed does show Ryzen Balanced option.

P.S- Do you use a dual socket or quad socket? Also what speed do you get for your stockfish?
Grandmaster 2617
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

viditchess wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm Thanks for the reply! Here are the results. Regarding point no.2 I downloaded the chipset driver and it indeed does show Ryzen Balanced option.

P.S- Do you use a dual socket or quad socket? Also what speed do you get for your stockfish?
I see the problem. You do not have your bios setup correctly. You ram is running at 2166. What speed is your memory kit. And you are running default settings for the CPU. That is why it will not boost.The board is not sending enough power to the CPU. You can fix this with the ryzen master software. But it is better to do this in the bios.

Look up how to setup a 2950x on you tube for your motherboard or the web. And also how to use the ryzen master software. When I am off work and at home I can help further if needed. Your cinebench score after a bit of OC should be 3450 to 3550. But you need to fix your memory and CPU settings.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

mwyoung wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 pm
viditchess wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:49 pm Thanks for the reply! Here are the results. Regarding point no.2 I downloaded the chipset driver and it indeed does show Ryzen Balanced option.

I see the problem. You do not have your bios setup correctly. You ram is running at 2166. What speed is your memory kit. And you are running default settings for the CPU. That is why it will not boost.The board is not sending enough power to the CPU. You can fix this with the ryzen master software. But it is better to do this in the bios.

Look up how to setup a 2950x on you tube for your motherboard or the web. And also how to use the ryzen master software. When I am off work and at home I can help further if needed. Your cinebench score after a bit of OC should be 3450 to 3550. But you need to fix your memory and CPU settings.
I am setup in quad memory configuration. And when we fix this current issue. We can setup Lc0. It is very easy.

How do I post screen shots here? As you did above. This will make it much easier.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

mwyoung wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm
How do I post screen shots here? As you did above. This will make it much easier.
Either by attaching them in a supported file format or via the image tags, if you have them uploaded to a website.
Note that there is ofc a size limit for attaching files directly.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Greyguy
Full name: Per Hesselgren

Post by Greyguy »

It looks like Komodo is better for Threadripper than Stockfish:

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/965-2/ ... tives.html
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I was out of town so I couldn't make any changes in bios. Could you please tell me what exact changes you meant? I tried playing around a bit in bios, but the issue persists.

Also, my ram is CORSAIR DDR4 -3000MHZ 16BGBx2

mwyoung wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm
mwyoung wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 pm

I am setup in quad memory configuration. And when we fix this current issue. We can setup Lc0. It is very easy.

Grandmaster 2617
viditchess

Post by viditchess »

I updated the bios and it seems to have helped the case. Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
Grandmaster 2617
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

viditchess wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:23 pm I updated the bios and it seems to have helped the case. Now I get the following speed. Is it normal? I somehow feel that the speed gain should be more than 8k.
To get more you will need to overclock the system. And this voids the warranty. But is low risk.

In the ryzen master software since you don't know the bios.

1. Open the ryzen master software
2. Go to profile 1
3. Click the precision boost overdrive button.
4. Set the power limits located under the precision boost overdrive button to 1000, 1000, 500.
5. Save profile and hit apply and test.
This setting allows the processors to overclock itself with full power limits.

Do your benchmark again and enjoy.

Now you can start to overclock your memory.

Go to profile 1 again and start moving the green memory slider a bit at a time. Saving the new profile 1 setting. And hit apply and test. If the system becomes unstable you need to set the memory speed to a lower speed. And again saving your profile. This process will take a bit of time.

Enjoy.