TASC R-30 uci engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

TASC R-30 uci engine?

Post by JohnW »

Anyone know if there is uci version of the old TASC R-30 dedicated chess board? It was a pretty tough computer for it's era and would love to play it.

Thank you..
MikeB

Re: TASC R-30 uci engine?

Post by MikeB »

JohnW wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm Anyone know if there is uci version of the old TASC R-30 dedicated chess board? It was a pretty tough computer for it's era and would love to play it.

Thank you..
TASC R30 was based on Johan de Koning's program "The King" v2.2. I believe Chessmaster 11 was "The King" v3.5. This page will tell you how to run it as a UCI engine.

http://www.utzingerk.com/how_to_use.htm
Werewolf

Re: TASC R-30 uci engine?

Post by Werewolf »

JohnW wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm Anyone know if there is uci version of the old TASC R-30 dedicated chess board? It was a pretty tough computer for it's era and would love to play it.

Thank you..
If you want the true Tasc R30 experience, then no there isn't a UCI version yet. I'm hoping the Mess Emulator project will get a Tasc emulation soon, but there's no mention of it.

The R30 had two engines: The King 2.2 (in 1993) and 2.5 (in 1995). The closest versions can be found in the Chessmaster 4000 Turbo and 5000 respectively. I have bought both off ebay and got them to run in a DOS emulation OK. Brings back memories.

If you want more info the HIARCS forum tends to deal in that kind of stuff.