Dramatic drop in performance with LC0 after updating Cuda drivers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

Re: Dramatic drop in performance with LC0 after updating Cuda drivers

Post by corres »

ankan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:05 am I think there is some confusion.
The 'cudart64_100.dll, cublas64_100.dll, cudnn64_7.dll' files is not part of driver - they are cuda runtime/cublas/cudnn library files.
Very early builds of lc0 didn't come with them, so they had to be downloaded separately from nvidia's website (first two are part of cuda sdk, and third one is cudnn sdk).
All recent lc0 packages already include these files. E.g: in the "lc0-v0.20.1-windows-cuda.zip" package that can be downloaded from here:
https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/releases
As Albert said, all you need is a recent nvidia display driver, which can be downloaded from here:
https://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in
(When you install from the above link, you don't need to check any optional component - just need the display driver)
The other thing you need to run lc0 is the network file - which can be downloaded from here:
http://testserver.lczero.org/networks/
You are right but it is absent a notice:
The .dll files enclosed to Leela are for Windows 10 64bits.
If one uses Windows 7 64bits system that one is forced to mine out the .dll files from CUDA.exe for Windows 7 and from the cudnn-10.0-windows7...zip file.
Really if they do not want to try other .dll for Leela the Windows 10 64bits users have no any other work than extract the leela-x.zip file.
ankan wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:05 am It's possible that earlier you were using a smaller network from T35 run (IDs 35xxx-36xxx, e.g: 36089) which would run much faster than full-sized network from other runs and the dramatic drop you are seeing is because now you are running with a bigger network. At long TC/faster hardware latest T30 networks should be the strongest (IDs 30xxx-32xxx, e.g: 32574).
Note that networks from T40 run (IDs 40xxx onwards) are relatively very weak as the run has just started.
This is a very possible explanation to the drop in speed.
But this issue is a well known thing in the circles of Leela's users.
And where is M ANSARI?
Between us there is no any important divergence.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

corres wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 am The .dll files enclosed to Leela are for Windows 10 64bits.
If one uses Windows 7 64bits system that one is forced to mine out the .dll files from CUDA.exe for Windows 7 and from the cudnn-10.0-windows7...zip file.
No.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
corres

Post by corres »

Guenther wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 am
corres wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 am The .dll files enclosed to Leela are for Windows 10 64bits.
No.
Why no?
Maybe Leela works with the enclosed .dll files on Windows 7 64 bits too but if you visit NVIDIA site you
can find cuda.exe and cudnn...zip for Windows 10 64bits and Windows 7 64bits files separately.
These are the correct .dll files.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

corres wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am
No.
Why no?
Maybe Leela works with the enclosed .dll files on Windows 7 64 bits too but if you visit NVIDIA site you
can find cuda.exe and cudnn...zip for Windows 10 64bits and Windows 7 64bits files separately.
It is simply not needed. I have WIN7-64 and I use only the dll files delivered with LC0.
All of this was already said a few times in this thread. You just need a recent Nvidia display driver, nothing more (from Nvidia).
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
corres

Post by corres »

Guenther wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am
corres wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am
No.
Why no?
It is simply not needed. I have WIN7-64 and I use only the dll files delivered with LC0.
All of this was already said a few times in this thread. You just need a recent Nvidia display driver, nothing more (from Nvidia).
You are a lucky man.
But if Leela does not work because of "Runtime Error!" one should download the Windows 7 cuda.exe and cudnn files from NVIDIA site to get the appropriate Windows 7 .dll-s.