Syzygy 7 piece GUI support

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Syzygy 7 piece GUI support

Post by mjlef »

Do any of the chess GUIs now support 7 piece Syzygy? I know engines like Stockfish and Komodo do, but what about the GUI itself?

Mark
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Syzygy 7 piece GUI support

Post by hgm »

What is there to support? Adjudication? I consider that evil anyway. Engines that do not support EGT should not get free (half)points just because a difficult win or difficult-to-hold draw in theory are what they are with perfect play. And engines that do support EGT should be able to move instantly, so there is nothing to gain on those.

Anyway, WinBoard/XBoard does not support it.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

hgm wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pm What is there to support? Adjudication? I consider that evil anyway. Engines that do not support EGT should not get free (half)points just because a difficult win or difficult-to-hold draw in theory are what they are with perfect play. And engines that do support EGT should be able to move instantly, so there is nothing to gain on those.

Anyway, WinBoard/XBoard does not support it.
Yes, GUI direct use of Syzygy. A customer wants to know. Although I also think engines should make the move selections, some people like it when the GUI can intelligently end the match early. And with 7 piece Syzygy quite expensive to download, a GUI that could consult with an online 7 piece on a server could be useful. It would cost me a small fortune to download the whole 7 piece, since my ISP has a monthly limit on included bandwidth, and then charges a lot for each 50 GB I go over.
schack

Post by schack »

I'm told Chessbase 15 should do so shortly.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Cutechess gui allow 7-piece probing. Adjudication is a request.

schack: i wish chessbase gui can support tablebase adjudication in addition to draw and adjustable resign paramaters.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

https://python-chess.readthedocs.io/en/ ... yzygy.html
supports 7-man. Probably not graphical enough for end-users. I've tested it and it worked.