The Lc0 squeak

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

The Lc0 squeak

Post by Werewolf »

Am I the only one who gets this coming from the graphics card?

It sounds like an old witch running her long fingernails down a blackboard, until your head is full of the vile noise and you want to pull your ears off.

As soon as I stop Lc0 from analysing, the squeak stops. When I start it, it begins. Never does that when under load from games. I've tried different machines and I get the same thing.

Anyone know what it is?
Dann Corbit

Re: The Lc0 squeak

Post by Dann Corbit »

It's your GPU fan going nuts, or possibly your computer's power supply fan going nuts.
Some GPUs will draw 400 watts.

If you really want to hear a computer scream, get an old 128 core server and have it analyze full tilt with all 128 cores going at once.

It sounds like a jet plane taking off.

I buy soundproof boxes for that stuff. I am thinking about building a special server room. In the long run, it might be cheaper. The soundproof boxes are over $700 each for one that will enclose a server and the really big ones are frightfully expensive.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Werewolf wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 pm Am I the only one who gets this coming from the graphics card?

It sounds like an old witch running her long fingernails down a blackboard, until your head is full of the vile noise and you want to pull your ears off.

As soon as I stop Lc0 from analysing, the squeak stops. When I start it, it begins. Never does that when under load from games. I've tried different machines and I get the same thing.

Anyone know what it is?
Hahahaha

I have faint, but frequent squeaks since 3 days ago, when I bought a new 700W PSU to replace the 500W one, which crashed twice my PC when on very long Lc0 runs. So, I am pretty sure it's PSU in my case, and like you, it happens only with Lc0. Well, I am rarely using my RTX 2070 at full load for other tasks as of now (some Go engines will have it to use soon).
Milos

Post by Milos »

Laskos wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 pm Well, I am rarely using my RTX 2070 at full load for other tasks as of now (some Go engines will have it to use soon).
Gee man, you have very powerful raytracing graphics card and you only play Lc0??? Play some games for god sake at like 4k. :D
crem

Post by crem »

Werewolf wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 pm Anyone know what it is?
That's "GPU coil whine" (googleable).
There are lots of discussions on forums and there are also youtube videos so that people whose GPU doesn't whine could also listen.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Milos wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:09 am
Laskos wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 pm Well, I am rarely using my RTX 2070 at full load for other tasks as of now (some Go engines will have it to use soon).
Gee man, you have very powerful raytracing graphics card and you only play Lc0??? Play some games for god sake at like 4k. :D
Most games are too complicated to me to really have fun :lol: .
I remember I enjoyed the most, was really thrilled, by ping pong on a really primitive console at the age of 7 or so, especially beating my father at it : ))).
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

crem wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14 am
There are lots of discussions on forums and there are also youtube videos so that people whose GPU doesn't whine could also listen.
try having an MRI scan
nabildanial

Post by nabildanial »

I have a GTX 970, a GTX 750 ti and 2 GTX 1060 in my house and luckily none of them whine when using Lc0. But my friend's GTX 1060 whines whenever I try to use Lc0 with it and it confuses a hell out of me.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 pm It's your GPU fan going nuts, or possibly your computer's power supply fan going nuts.
Some GPUs will draw 400 watts.

If you really want to hear a computer scream, get an old 128 core server and have it analyze full tilt with all 128 cores going at once.

It sounds like a jet plane taking off.

I buy soundproof boxes for that stuff. I am thinking about building a special server room. In the long run, it might be cheaper. The soundproof boxes are over $700 each for one that will enclose a server and the really big ones are frightfully expensive.
A fan sounds like a hum. When it’s really loud it sounds like a hairdryer. This noise is tolerable.
But this...a witch’s fingernails is the only spine tingling comparison I can think of.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

crem wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14 am
THAT’S it.
That’s the noise.