Frank Walter

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ljgw
Full name: Laurens Winkelhagen

Re: Frank Walter

Post by ljgw »

Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am
Even if I add -tb F:\Sakk\syzygy to the command line it does not move. That is, it moves (very slowly, as if restartig after each move) until it leaves book. After that it does not move at all.
Hi Gabor,

I see that I was unclear:
FrankWalter has two ways of specifying the location of Syzygy tablebases.
* One is the -tb option
* The other is the regular winboard protocol option. This second option causes the problem.

It should be possible to tell Arena where the Syzygy tablebases (for use with FrankWalter) are located (I will post a screenshot after I get home and find it - I remember that my arena used some default location:-) rather than telling FrankWalter where the Syzygy tablebases are located with the -tb option.

I find the behavior that you experience with the -tb option quite interesting also, I will try to reproduce that and include a fix for it in the new version.

--Laurens
Author of JanWillem (C, WB, inactive) and FrankWalter (Java, WB, https://github.com/ljgw/frankwalter)
ljgw

Post by ljgw »

ljgw wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 pm
Gabor Szots wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 am
Even if I add -tb F:\Sakk\syzygy to the command line it does not move. That is, it moves (very slowly, as if restartig after each move) until it leaves book. After that it does not move at all.
Hi Gabor,

I see that I was unclear:
FrankWalter has two ways of specifying the location of Syzygy tablebases.
* One is the -tb option
* The other is the regular winboard protocol option. This second option causes the problem.

It should be possible to tell Arena where the Syzygy tablebases (for use with FrankWalter) are located (I will post a screenshot after I get home and find it - I remember that my arena used some default location:-) rather than telling FrankWalter where the Syzygy tablebases are located with the -tb option.

I find the behavior that you experience with the -tb option quite interesting also, I will try to reproduce that and include a fix for it in the new version.

--Laurens
Hi Gabor,

I could not find an option in Arena to set the Syzygy Tablebases location for just FrankWalter. I could only find find this option for all Winboard engines (see screenshot below).
wb-options.png
If you'd specify the Syzygy tablebases location there, I hope it will work - but because this setting affects all winboard engines, you could also just wait until I can upload (actually Ron does that for me) a fix version of the engine.

I was unable to reproduce the other issue, could it have something to do with using a arena provided opening?
Author of JanWillem (C, WB, inactive) and FrankWalter (Java, WB, https://github.com/ljgw/frankwalter)
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

ljgw wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm I could not find an option in Arena to set the Syzygy Tablebases location for just FrankWalter. I could only find find this option for all Winboard engines (see screenshot below).
wb-options.png
If you'd specify the Syzygy tablebases location there, I hope it will work - but because this setting affects all winboard engines, you could also just wait until I can upload (actually Ron does that for me) a fix version of the engine.

I was unable to reproduce the other issue, could it have something to do with using a arena provided opening?
Switching off the Arena book has solved the problem. However, we test with generic books so until you make that possible we cannot include it in our testing.
Moreover, I can see that FrankWalter has a built-in book (it moves instantly at the start of the game) which, if can't be switched off, is another reason why it cannot be tested by us.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
ljgw

Post by ljgw »

Hi Gabor,

I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense:-)

I need to make this configurable, that will be a nice feature anyway. I'll add this in the fix version, but it will take a bit longer I think^^
ljgw

Post by ljgw »

I've made this change to FrankWalter and the new version (2.2.3) can be downloaded here: http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... lter:index

There are two new commandline parameters
* -nobook (to tell FrankWalter not to use its internal book)
* -book (followed by the filename of the book, which should be located next to the frankwalter.jar file - the format is the simple Beowulf format)

To use FrankWalter in matches with an external (User Interface supplied) book, the commandline parameter -nobook should be used.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

ljgw wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 am I've made this change to FrankWalter and the new version (2.2.3) can be downloaded here: http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... lter:index

There are two new commandline parameters
* -nobook (to tell FrankWalter not to use its internal book)
* -book (followed by the filename of the book, which should be located next to the frankwalter.jar file - the format is the simple Beowulf format)

To use FrankWalter in matches with an external (User Interface supplied) book, the commandline parameter -nobook should be used.
Thanks Laurens. Now it seems there is nothing between us and I'm going to test your engine as soon as I have a free core.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group