Dodgy eBay Listing for Komodo and Rybka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Dodgy eBay Listing for Komodo and Rybka

Post by rcmaddox »

This looks suspect to me ---->> https://www.ebay.com/itm/official-Ches ... 1438.l2649

Komodo 10 is still available for purchase from the Komodo website, so some guy selling Komodo 11, in the Arena GUI no less, looks suspicious. Rybka 4 is likewise still for sale. Is this guy authorized to sell Komodo and Rybka?
Last edited by rcmaddox on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lkaufman

Re: Dodgy eBay Listing for Komodo and Rybka

Post by lkaufman »

No.
Komodo rules!
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Unsupported. Better Stockfish and derivatives if that is the case. And it is free.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

rcmaddox wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 pm This looks suspect to me ---->> https://www.ebay.com/itm/official-Ches ... 1438.l2649

Komodo 10 is still available for purchase from the Komodo website, so some guy selling Komodo 11, in the Arena GUI no less, looks suspicious. Rybka 4 is likewise still for sale. Is this guy authorized to sell Komodo and Rybka?
I suppose is one way to make a money. Use free copy of Komodo and than later sell it for money, or purchase the original Komodo and than later sell it through E-Bay… People want to make money on other people's work, no matter how immoral it really is. :( :(
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 pmNo.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/proh ... cy?id=4276

What should I do if I see a listing with a counterfeit item?

Please report listings that offer counterfeit items or replicas.

We have lots more detail on the types of products that are considered unauthorized in our guidelines below, but please be aware this isn't exhaustive list.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

It listed from China. Very bizarre. I cant imagine anyone on here buying from that listing.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Why shouldn't he sell a collection for Arena plus the strongest free engines? Stockfish, Rybka 2, Houdini 1.5, Komodo 9, ASM, Raubfisch, Schooner and etc, should sell as a compilation of engines and guis. I myself would order if all the strongest freeware are there in one file.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

menniepals wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 am Why shouldn't he sell a collection for Arena plus the strongest free engines? Stockfish, Rybka 2, Houdini 1.5, Komodo 9, ASM, Raubfisch, Schooner and etc, should sell as a compilation of engines and guis. I myself would order if all the strongest freeware are there in one file.
Well it's not his property to sell. That would be like me me selling your house and keeping the money for myself. It would not be very nice would it be.

Of course he could sell it as long as he obtained the proper permissions:

http://www.playwitharena.com/?Legal_Stuff
Legal Stuff

You are allowed to download the program package and install it on as many computers as you like free of charge.

However, distribution or offering of Arena Chess GUI, SOS for Arena, Dragon, AnMon, Nejmet, Ruffian, Betsy, Chispa, Hermann, Frenzee, Spike, Aice and ELOstat on other webpages, newspaper, CDs, print and other media is only allowed in unmodified form and with the written permission of their respective authors Martin Blume, Rudolf Huber, Bruno LUCAS, Christian BARRETEAU, Jean-Christophe GABILLARD, Per-Ola Valfridsson, Landon W. Rabern, Federico Andrés Corigliano, Sune Fischer, Volker Annuss, Volker Böhm & Ralf Schäfer, Anastasios Milikas and Dr. Frank Schubert.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Correct. But with all this very strong engines available for free download, it is difficult to sell anything unless it is some Komodo or Houdini. Even then only serious chess players will buy them.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Even a friend who is a 2600 gm uses solely freeware engines to prepare, namely: Stockfish, Raubfisch, Brainfish and ASM. He was impressed with Komodo 9 to begin with but now thinks Stockfish and its derivatives as more accurate. Just a matter of choice.