abstract fairy pieces

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

abstract fairy pieces

Post by Uri Blass »

By abstract I mean that the piece is not on the board but enable you to do some action.
Some abstract pieces that I invented(do not know if other already invented the same thing earlier)

I wonder if people thought about these pieces or maybe they are a new idea.

1)I can define a piece that is called permutation that allow you to make permutation of your pieces.

permutation can be limited of course only to 2 pieces and be called permutation-2

king pawn and permutation-2 can win against king in the following position.

[d]5k2/8/5P2/5K2/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

White simply play permutation and get to the following position:

[d]5k2/8/5K2/5P2/8/8/8/8 b - - 0 1

Note that black cannot play permutation that is practically playing the null move because permutation-2 means that you can do permutation only if you have exactly 2 pieces.

2)Another abstract piece can be rotating the board by 180 degrees assuming it does not cause your king to be in check.
usinf this abtract piece you can win from the following position
[d]8/8/8/8/7k/8/7P/K7 w - - 0 1

rotating the board lead to the following position when white wins.

[d]7K/P7/8/k7/8/8/8/8 b - - 0 1

3)Another abstract piece is a square generator.
A square generator simply is allowed to add a square to the board and for example white's move instead of playing with a piece may be adding the square e0 to the board or adding the square f(-1) to the board so later white can play Ng1-e0 or Ng1-f(-1)

Note that queen rook and bishop need all the squares between them to play so in case of adding f(-1) without adding f0 a rook is not allowed to play Rf1-f(-1) but knights can jump so they are allowed to go from g1 to f(-1) even if there is no f0.

4)A square deletor can be also an abstract piece and simply delete squares from the board.

if a square deletor deleted b8 from the board the following position is mate

[d]k7/8/K1B5/8/8/8/8/8 b - - 0 1

Note that a square deletor is only allowed to delete squares that have no pieces on them and white with a square deletor in the opening position is not allowed to capture black queen by deleting the square d8 but after 1.e2-e4 black is allowed to delete e2 and prevent also moves like Bf1-d3

5)A teacher that can teach pieces to play a new type of movement.
a teacher may be allowed to make one click on the following board to teach a piece new type of movement and not more than one in one turn.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: abstract fairy pieces

Post by hgm »

More usual terminology for this is 'game rules'. I don't know anyone that consider castling rights or pawn double-pushes to be 'abstract pieces'.
Uri Blass

Re: abstract fairy pieces

Post by Uri Blass »

I thought about them as pieces because like pieces they allow the side who have them more options and it is possible to discuss about their value and
ask questions like if white without e2 and d2 but with the right to do permutation between 2 pieces is better or worse than black
but you are right that the right to castle also allow the side that has it more options and is not called a piece and it is possible to ask similar questions about the value of the right to castle.