MadChess 3.0 Beta

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: MadChess 3.0 Beta

Post by AndrewGrant »

Thanks for sharing, Erik. I'll be reading these when I get the time.
Your blogs are among some of the best sources for new authors. It is always good to hear from you.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

Thanks for your kind words, Andrew. I've watched with amazement the progress of Ethereal.

Along the lines of what you mention, I need to find time to write a blog post about bitboards. With the aim of illustrating concepts for novice chess engine programmers. I could cross-post it with my other blog because the idea of overcoming information redundancy via perfect hashing is an interesting concept for a general programming audience, not just for chess programmers. Though of course it would help to have a non-chess example of the technique. Anyhow, food for thought.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Post by mvanthoor »

emadsen wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:26 pm Thanks for your kind words, Andrew. I've watched with amazement the progress of Ethereal.

Along the lines of what you mention, I need to find time to write a blog post about bitboards. With the aim of illustrating concepts for novice chess engine programmers. I could cross-post it with my other blog because the idea of overcoming information redundancy via perfect hashing is an interesting concept for a general programming audience, not just for chess programmers. Though of course it would help to have a non-chess example of the technique. Anyhow, food for thought.
Hi Eric :)

Good to see that Madchess is still active.

With regard to bitboards (and move generation...) I need such a write-up as well, for my own website/documentation of Rustic. The bitboard part and move generation in my engine are done, functions are documented, but I want to have a comprehensive write-up of how Magic Bitboards work.

I've gotten it to work by reading a lot of stuff (finally ending up at the same Stackoverflow post as yourself... I should still have the link somewhere), which made all of the loose pieces click.

Would you be interested in writing something like that together, somehow, before we both forget how it actually works and need to start from scratch again when documenting? :oops:
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL
emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Post by emadsen »

Would you be interested in writing something like that together
Marcel, that's a good idea. I'll try to write something in the next two weeks or so. I'll PM you when I have a draft. And feel free to do the same when you have something. No rush. I understand life and work make accurately predicting a schedule for a hobby difficult :)
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net