ChessTricks

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

USGroup1
Full name: Sina Vaziri

ChessTricks

Post by USGroup1 »

I wrote a program that tries to find the trickiest move in a given position. By trickiest, I mean a move that is not the best move, but if the opponent can't find the only reply(refutation), it will result to an even better position than the best move. It uses StockFish 9 engine.
The program filters out some obvious scenarios like piece trades, opponent on only move positions, ...
I thought it would be useful for people who try to find novelties and traps.

Screenshot:

Press Enter after pasting your FEN to load it.
The higher the "Initial Variants" value is, there's more chance to find the trick move.

Homepage
Download

VirusTotal Check 0/60
carldaman

Re: ChessTricks

Post by carldaman »

Thanks a lot! Fascinating idea. :-)

May I ask how you were able to get those lovely Neo chess piece fonts?
I've been looking for them everywhere. I know chess.com uses them
as the default but I can't find a download link for them at all.

Thanks again,
Carl
USGroup1

Post by USGroup1 »

carldaman wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 am May I ask how you were able to get those lovely Neo chess piece fonts?
I've been looking for them everywhere. I know chess.com uses them
as the default but I can't find a download link for them at all.
I got them from Chess.com. In https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor click on "Set up Position" and rightclick on pieces on the top right and save image. They are in .webp format, you can convert them by using free online image converters.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks, but the online tools only seem to allow image file conversion from one format to another, such as png to webp, but as far as I can see there is no simple and readily available tool for conversion to ttf (a piece font format). That would allow these fonts to be used with a GUI like Arena.
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Great tool--thank you!
For further versions I would recommend:
- letting the user see the ongoing evaluation process and
- showing an estimated time that will be needed to finish the process,
- support of larger hash and use of syzygy.
flither
Full name: Raf Levsky

Post by flither »

carldaman wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 am Thanks, but the online tools only seem to allow image file conversion from one format to another, such as png to webp, but as far as I can see there is no simple and readily available tool for conversion to ttf (a piece font format). That would allow these fonts to be used with a GUI like Arena.
Just go here - https://www.chess.com/computer-chess-championship , and right-click and save on every kind of piece on the main board (touch and hold on a mobile), they're in png format.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

flither wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:29 pm
carldaman wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 am Thanks, but the online tools only seem to allow image file conversion from one format to another, such as png to webp, but as far as I can see there is no simple and readily available tool for conversion to ttf (a piece font format). That would allow these fonts to be used with a GUI like Arena.
Just go here - https://www.chess.com/computer-chess-championship , and right-click and save on every kind of piece on the main board (touch and hold on a mobile), they're in png format.
Saving image files of the pieces will not turn them into usable piece fonts for other GUIs, unless you know of a way to use the .png files as piece fonts. If so, I'm very interested to know how. Thanks :)
USGroup1

Post by USGroup1 »

CositasBuenas wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm Great tool--thank you!
For further versions I would recommend:
- letting the user see the ongoing evaluation process and
- showing an estimated time that will be needed to finish the process,
- support of larger hash and use of syzygy.
Thank you, good suggestions. I'm working on new features.
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Hi
This concept sounds interesting, I think it would also be interesting to play against this tweaked stockfish engine, would it be possible to release your version of stockfish 9 ,so I could play against it or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks
USGroup1

Post by USGroup1 »

Rowen wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:37 pm Hi
This concept sounds interesting, I think it would also be interesting to play against this tweaked stockfish engine, would it be possible to release your version of stockfish 9 ,so I could play against it or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks
No I haven't tweaked the engine in any way, the program uses the official Stockfish 9 engine and read it's analysis to find and show the trick move if there is any in the position.