What got you into computer chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

DBTundra
Full name: David Taylor

What got you into computer chess?

Post by DBTundra »

What got you into computer chess? Battle Chess, a love of programming, and no chess set.
jdart

Re: What got you into computer chess?

Post by jdart »

My dad taught me to play chess when I was 10. I was a pretty active player up until I finished high school. I won the high school championship, although I was never very high rated.

Fast forward to the 1980s. I was in grad school and was doing some software consulting work and independent software development on the side. I was aware of some of the early computer chess work and had played around with Gnuchess, Borland's Turbo Chess and a few other programs. I did some research on the topic of chess programming (back in those days, that meant visiting a university library and reading some articles), and wrote a really crappy program of my own in Modula-2 (the UI was pretty decent for that era but the engine was bad). A little later I was starting to teach myself programming for Microsoft Windows, then a very new technology. I got the idea of writing a chess program in C++, mostly to practice my Microsoft coding skills. So that became the first version of Arasan (UI + engine in one package, like its Modula-2 predecessor, although it had no code in common with that).

--Jon
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

DBTundra wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 am What got you into computer chess?
Chessmaster 3000 and the multiple GM personalities it had.
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

Psion Chess, Chessmaster 2100 and Mephisto-Europe computer. And those strange program for PDP-11 in my school - with text interface and cryptic old English notation...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

The store where my father was sales manager started selling a couple of types of dedicated chess computers.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

I got a Commodore VIC 20 and this http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... -II-Chess/ game cartridge when I was 13 years.
I learned some chess basics at the same age from a book.
Later I wrote some "four in a row" program on a C64 at age of 16 and had some lessons about gaming theory in university at age of 22.

Then I lost contact for half of my life before someone at work pointed me to TCEC and chessprogramming scene when I asked him about a post he made at facebooks TCEC page.

Andreas
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

DBTundra wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 am What got you into computer chess? Battle Chess, a love of programming, and no chess set.
I used to think it was the closest to human thing you could get in machine form.
I have never yet come across another person who felt the same way as me.

I was also crazy over being able to know what a grandmaster would suggest in some positions.

Again, no one EVER felt like me. As far as i know.

Also, i was longing to see world famous combinations that made history, come out of my own bed room (ie my own private room).
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Chess Challenger 1,3, Novag 1.6, Mach III, then the software.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

DBTundra wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 am What got you into computer chess? Battle Chess, a love of programming, and no chess set.
The ability of computers to outperform humans!
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

MK1, mkv, Mephisto 1
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....