What would be the best Chess program to learn Chess960 ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

What would be the best Chess program to learn Chess960 ?

Post by Chessqueen »

I am trying to get a good Chess program to learn Chess960 and I mean to a program that will teach me how to develop the pieces effectively and teach me good combination which is essential to chess960. Is Fritz16 a good program or you have a better suggestion ?
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen

Re: What would be the best Chess program to learn Chess960 ?

Post by Chessqueen »

The reason why I asked this question is because I am more interested and all of you should be in buying a good chess program that help you improve your chess strength instead of getting a program that would beat even Magnus Carlsen, which most top 7 programs are capable of. We on this Forum are way way way too low rated compared to the top 100 humans on the FIDE rating list, but we still keep getting programs for the wrong reason.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Chess960 is the same game as standard chess. The only difference is you have to forget your concrete opening lines memorized before. So if you want to be better in chess960, you have to learn more basic standard chess strategic principles, tactics, etc. And never forget the most important advice: practice, practice, practice!

Go to lichess.org and play chess960 games. After game finished push the "Analysis board" button. After Stockfish analysed the game the "Learn from your mistakes" button will guide you to review your blunders/mistakes.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

According to Kasparov he mentioned that certain players will do better than other in Chess960 do to the fact of being able to prepare more in the standard classical game and having a better photographic memory in memorizing more variations than other. He also stated that he in particular when competing regular in his youth that he paid close attention to the opening preparation of different lines and variations. Now if you take into consideration GM Nakamura record vs GM Carlsen in Classical standard chess, his record is horribly no better than 10 percent, but in all the games that he played vs Carlsen in Chcess960 where he does not have to memorize openings he has a better record against Carlsen compared to his record in classical games even thought Carlsen still is better than Nakamura and also became World Chess960 champion.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

gbtami wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 am Chess960 is the same game as standard chess. The only difference is you have to forget your concrete opening lines memorized before. So if you want to be better in chess960, you have to learn more basic standard chess strategic principles, tactics, etc. And never forget the most important advice: practice, practice, practice!

Go to lichess.org and play chess960 games. After game finished push the "Analysis board" button. After Stockfish analysed the game the "Learn from your mistakes" button will guide you to review your blunders/mistakes.
Position #518 which is Standard chess as we know it has some long accepted opening principles which I am quite familiar with since I have read different books on openings, but those principles only apply to position #518 (standard chess) and fail when we rearrange the pieces behind the pawn. Therefore, other more worthy opening principles apply regardless of the initial setup. In conclusion we can say that Chess960 is NOT the same game as standard chess, and let me explain why. According to Kasparov the some so called principles of chess are merely principles of the traditional setup or so called position #518 of the Chess960, not of chess in general or the other 959 position that makes Chess960.lets make this clear that when pieces are rearrange behind the pawns, the majority of the standard chess principles fail or must be changed, since the King position could varies and the control of the center is NO longer necessary or, to develop the Knight before the bishops and in some cases the knight could be placed and must be placed on the edge to protect the king in the initial position of Chess960 not toward the center. Chess960 from move one, has to be evaluated carefully and a initail attack toward the enemy King has to be planned and if you develop your pieces normally like in standard chess you could easily be chekmated in less than 4 or 5 moves or loose a pawn from the 2nd move, Chess960 has implications for everything from hypermodern center and castling decisions to piece development, endgames could start from 7 moves after your opening which differ from standard chess depending on the initial positions, so foresight, and pawns storm attacks could start very early during a game of Chess960, you could even say that the starting position of Chess960 is the very beginning of the middle stage of standard chess.

A good book to read which not only help you understand Chess960 complexity, but it will help any player from different level including IM is " Play stronger standard chess by examinings Chess960" , by Gene Milener.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

This must be the best position of Chess960 which has been the most analized by GMs all over the World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dbAHd5Yd5k
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

That should be a top-20 engine which has the best understanding for general opening principles. But I do not know which one that is :?: In case of doubt, simply take Stockfish which is the strongest overall, and free. If you need to spend money, consider Shredder Classic 5 or -13.
Regards, Mike
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

I was referring to the starting position that has been most Analyzed out of all the Chess960 positions NOT the best Analyzed game.
And the best Chess engine would be AlphaZero and none of the top in the CCR List, Not Komodo neither Stockfish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJeP9oifsc