Chenglite (UCI) by Maksim Korzh

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elcabesa

Re: Chenglite (UCI) by Maksim Korzh

Post by elcabesa »

a suggestion on your git workflow.

when you comit something write something related to your modificaiton in comment and not "Added files via upload", it will help you when looking back at your git history :)
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

elcabesa wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:33 am a suggestion on your git workflow.

when you comit something write something related to your modificaiton in comment and not "Added files via upload", it will help you when looking back at your git history :)
Many people told me to do so... I'm tired to explain them that I know what is the idea of git... And I simply prefer to use it simply as backup service. I never watch my git history and frequently commit things and commit them back after, so I don't want the history to look like "done this", "cancelled this ", "done this again" and so on.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:30 am So I'm sorry if my request to rate my engine is a bit too early, I didn't mean to insult anybody.
I'm sure no one would even think to interpret your request as such. ;)
maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:30 amOne little question to you - what kind of software do you use in CCRL to compete engines? Can I try it myself at home to see, say whether my engine crashes or not and things like that, thanks in advance.
The three most popular GUIs used at CCRL are ChessGUI, Arena or Cute Chess. Cute Chess also has a CLI (i.e. command-line only) version. Commercial GUIs like Fritz and Shredder are also used sometimes.

Of all of the above Cute Chess is probably the best tool for bug hunting. Its developers are sticklers for correct programming practices, so any deviation from the spec on the engine's part usually results in problems. Other GUIs are a lot more tolerant.
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

tpoppins wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 am
maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:30 am So I'm sorry if my request to rate my engine is a bit too early, I didn't mean to insult anybody.
I'm sure no one would even think to interpret your request as such. ;)
maksimKorzh wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:30 amOne little question to you - what kind of software do you use in CCRL to compete engines? Can I try it myself at home to see, say whether my engine crashes or not and things like that, thanks in advance.
The three most popular GUIs used at CCRL are ChessGUI, Arena or Cute Chess. Cute Chess also has a CLI (i.e. command-line only) version. Commercial GUIs like Fritz and Shredder are also used sometimes.

Of all of the above Cute Chess is probably the best tool for bug hunting. Its developers are sticklers for correct programming practices, so any deviation from the spec on the engine's part usually results in problems. Other GUIs are a lot more tolerant.
Thank you, Tirsa!

Can I contact you to involve my engine to the tournament when I finish and test it? How does people usually make requests to such tournaments? And one last thing - I'm thinking about switching to xboard/winboard from UCI due to the minimalist design doesn't have separated functions involved in UCI routine, so are the xboard/winboard engines able to participate in the tournament? Thanks in advance.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

You are welcome, Maksim, and the answer to both of your questions is "yes".
Tirsa Poppins
CCRL