New engine releases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

xr_a_y

Re: New engine releases

Post by xr_a_y »

Sorry to disappoint you but indeed I am a man and the photo is quite up to date !

In french, the "female" version of Vivien is Vivienne. You may also have heart about Vivian (for male) and Viviane (for female).
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

xr_a_y wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 pm Sorry to disappoint you but indeed I am a man and the photo is quite up to date !

In french, the "female" version of Vivien is Vivienne. You may also have heart about Vivian (for male) and Viviane (for female).
I learned very useful things today. Thanks Vivien. Good luck with your engine.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Hello,

Please find a new release of Igel engine: 1.2: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel/releases/tag/1.2

This release fixes a series bug in Igel, when at random time engine would think that it sees a mate from a given position in transposition table, so it would do a random move, like exchange queen for a pawn. Now that this bug is fixed, I estimate around 30-50 elo increase over previous release (Igel 1.1).

What's new:

- Fixed tt bug that resulted in random blunders
- Fixed NPS bug
- Fixed infinite stop bug
- Implemented POPCNT support
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

Hi,

I released a new version of WInter yesterday. I want to make a more in depth post later but I am low on time at the moment, so I thought I would mention it here for now.

Winter 0.2 is available on my github https://github.com/rosenthj/Winter with Windows binaries. I will add OSX binaries later. Changes are to search as well as evaluation. Self play between 0.2 and 0.1.1 resulted in +136 +-27 elo after 400 games at 60 +0.6. You can imagine me writing some smart disclaimer about self play results here, but I need my morning coffee first.
-Jonathan
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

jorose wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am Hi,

I released a new version of WInter yesterday. I want to make a more in depth post later but I am low on time at the moment, so I thought I would mention it here for now.

Winter 0.2 is available on my github https://github.com/rosenthj/Winter with Windows binaries. I will add OSX binaries later. Changes are to search as well as evaluation. Self play between 0.2 and 0.1.1 resulted in +136 +-27 elo after 400 games at 60 +0.6. You can imagine me writing some smart disclaimer about self play results here, but I need my morning coffee first.
Nice, that would put Winter 0.2 at around 2600 elo (CCRL 40/4). If that's correct, I'll include it in next season's CCLS. My plan for next season is to include actively developed engines, no matter if they are weaker than this season's bottom 16. It's a way to help developers show their work :)
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Another nice contribution to a prolific summer.

If I may have a question, which are the files required to run the engine? The zip contains several folders of which not all are needed, I think.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

CMCanavessi wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Nice, that would put Winter 0.2 at around 2600 elo (CCRL 40/4). If that's correct, I'll include it in next season's CCLS. My plan for next season is to include actively developed engines, no matter if they are weaker than this season's bottom 16. It's a way to help developers show their work :)
That would be amazing :D Don't think it is quite 2600 yet, but getting close.
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

If I may have a question, which are the files required to run the engine? The zip contains several folders of which not all are needed, I think.
Hmm, perhaps I should clean that up =)
Required are 3 files stored in the directories search_params and params. I would just keep those two directories and delete the rest if they bother you. Most GUIs and cutechess-cli allow you to specify engine directories in which the engine expects to find these two directories. I think in the future I will make the engine crash if it can't find the files it needs, but unfortunately I only considered that this is better behavior after someone had an issue immediately after this release.

If you like I could create a compile with a single param folder containing all 3 param files. Its very little work for me.

Taking a quick look at the zip I now realize somehow a .git directory slipped in there, I will see if github allows me to reupload without that directory as there is really no point in it being there. The copying, readme, contributors files as well the src directory are all related to the source and compiling it should someone be interested in that, do you think I should remove that for a binary zip? The data directory has a file containing 6'000 games in a format Winter understands that can be used to benchmark the engine, eg by calling "benchmark x" where x is an integral number that specifies how many milliseconds Winter should spend per test position. The tests directory contains files that can be used for debugging.

One bit of functionality that is actually active in the Winter binary is the ability to train the parameters on a dataset in the same format as the games in the data folder. So far I did not get the impression there would be people interested in this, but if there is demand, I would simplify its usage and add a simple tutorial so people could create their own Winter flavor in version 0.3 =)
-Jonathan
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

jorose wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Hmm, perhaps I should clean that up =)
Required are 3 files stored in the directories search_params and params. I would just keep those two directories and delete the rest if they bother you. Most GUIs and cutechess-cli allow you to specify engine directories in which the engine expects to find these two directories. I think in the future I will make the engine crash if it can't find the files it needs, but unfortunately I only considered that this is better behavior after someone had an issue immediately after this release.

If you like I could create a compile with a single param folder containing all 3 param files. Its very little work for me.

Taking a quick look at the zip I now realize somehow a .git directory slipped in there, I will see if github allows me to reupload without that directory as there is really no point in it being there. The copying, readme, contributors files as well the src directory are all related to the source and compiling it should someone be interested in that, do you think I should remove that for a binary zip? The data directory has a file containing 6'000 games in a format Winter understands that can be used to benchmark the engine, eg by calling "benchmark x" where x is an integral number that specifies how many milliseconds Winter should spend per test position. The tests directory contains files that can be used for debugging.

One bit of functionality that is actually active in the Winter binary is the ability to train the parameters on a dataset in the same format as the games in the data folder. So far I did not get the impression there would be people interested in this, but if there is demand, I would simplify its usage and add a simple tutorial so people could create their own Winter flavor in version 0.3 =)
Thanks Jonathan. I think removing the github folder would be enough.

Now I have only params and search_params in my Winter folder although they contain 6 files not 3.

To make an engine crash when it does not find the files it needs does not seem an elegant solution to me, at least it should tell the user what is missing.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
joechess

Post by joechess »

Is their a Windows binary foe Nemorino 5.01?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

joechess wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:45 pm Is their a Windows binary foe Nemorino 5.01?
The latest beta is always on the Nemorino main site under (you need to scroll a bit down):

Code: Select all

The current development versions are also available:

Main Nemorino dev version
    Nemorino dev version for old PC without POPCNT support
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy