DGT board question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

DGT board question

Post by Ponti »

Is there a way to connect a DGT board to Linux or OS/X ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
MikeB

Re: DGT board question

Post by MikeB »

Ponti wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 pm Is there a way to connect a DGT board to Linux or OS/X ?
I believe the answer is yes, based on some searches and what I know. For starters it connects to the 32 bit Linux based Raspberry Pi quite easily. The Areana website makes reference to the DGT board, but I am not 100% certain the functionality is included in the Linux version of Arena. And lastly, this website. with the latest release of Livechess cloud is for Windows, Linux and Mac. http://www.livechesscloud.com . I will download the mac version and let you know how I make out.

Edit: You can definitely hook up the dgt board to the Mac , play a game and the game will be recorded and viewable via the LiveChess Cloud software. You will also have access to down;oad all previously played games frmo the DGT board memory. LiveChess software looks complicated to me - so I'm not sure how you would broadcast the game over the internet..

Edit 2: To use the board with a GUI chess program under macOS (with a Fritz like program) , that appears to be a no go unless you go to the virtual Windows on MacOS route using Parallels or Bootcamp.
Zerbinati

Post by Zerbinati »

The driver for the DGT is currently only for Windows based platforms. You can however use a virtual machine which is running a Windows environment.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I don't have such a board myself, but I understood there is an open-source project 'dgtrv' which is a driver for under Linux in the form of a pseudo-engine, so that it can be used with any interface that can run engines.

http://dgtdrv.sourceforge.net/
LocutusOfPenguin
Full name: Jürgen Précour

Post by LocutusOfPenguin »

You can use the liveChess software from DGT.. Its programmed in Java, so working on all main os.
But i havent tried this out myself (see on my footer why) ...i only tested the beta some months ago on my ubuntu.

Jürgen
Create a dedicated chess computer based on tiny ARM computers with the DGT e-board on picochess.com