ShashChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sarona
Full name: Ron Doughie

Re: ShashChess

Post by sarona »

I only have Chessbase 14 on my laptop that I take on the road (job), but the method should - more or less - be the same. (not home, so I cannot check this with Chessbase 16)

What I do when analyzing a game is just click on the "Add Kibitzer" button - choose the engine I want and then click the Advanced button. That should allow you to set the hash and adjust any options said engine allows.
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

sarona wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:42 am I only have Chessbase 14 on my laptop that I take on the road (job), but the method should - more or less - be the same. (not home, so I cannot check this with Chessbase 16)

What I do when analyzing a game is just click on the "Add Kibitzer" button - choose the engine I want and then click the Advanced button. That should allow you to set the hash and adjust any options said engine allows.
Thanks again. And I missed it - the hash size is there.
Comparing Shash 16 and the current SF 13 Dev version (Analysis contempt off) for just a few minutes, Shash does evaluate the side to move a little higher which does make me wonder about contempt and no way to adjust it for Shash in CB 16.
amchess

Post by amchess »

Sorry: now the name is good for windows builds.
For the contempt, Shashchess hasn't this concept and it's replaced by the three personalities.
On the other hand, now with nnue, contempt is meaningless.
Andrea
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

amchess wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am Sorry: now the name is good for windows builds.
For the contempt, Shashchess hasn't this concept and it's replaced by the three personalities.
Andrea
Thanks for new version, Andrea!
Pity I forgot, if there was a command for defragmenting experience.bin now and then, neither if there was one for getting information about necessesity of doing so.
Can you tell me, please?
:roll: regards
Peter.
amchess

Post by amchess »

peter wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:41 pm
amchess wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am Sorry: now the name is good for windows builds.
Andrea
Thanks for new version, Andrea!
Pity I forgot, if there was a command for defragmenting experience.bin now and then, neither if there was one for getting information about necessesity of doing so.
Can you tell me, please?
:roll: regards
No need to defragment, because there aren't duplicate entries in the experience file.
peter

Post by peter »

amchess wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 am No need to defragment, because there aren't duplicate entries in the experience file.
Thanks for the prompt answer regards
Peter.
peter

Post by peter »

amchess wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:09 am No need to defragment, because there aren't duplicate entries in the experience file.
Did let ShashChess16 run a Backward of 50 games overnight at search-depth 30.
From the first 10 games, 10 Kb were added to experience.bin, from the next 40 no more growing of the file is to be seen.
Standard learning was chosen, only won games were in .pgn, personality Tal, SSE4.1 popcnt compile, fritz GUI.
Peter.
Archimedes
Full name: Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The learning file (experience.bin) is generated in the same directory of the executable. This doesn't work on DroidFish, because engines are in a directory where they not allowed to generate files. Should be an option in the option menu, where the name and path of the learning file could be changed.

When "Persisted learning" is switched off, ShashChess ignore this and generate a learning file which is growing while playing. But when i enabled "Read only learning" such a learning file will not be generated. Tested on Chess for Android and (with changes) on DroidFish.
khalidomar
Full name: Khalid Omar

Post by khalidomar »

Hi Andrea, I'm a bit confused .. because as far as I know Shashchess and BrainLearn experience file does have duplicate entries and could benefit from de-fragmentation. I can also see in the code that duplicate entries are expected and being handled correctly

khalidomar
Full name: Khalid Omar

Post by khalidomar »

Andrea
Hmm, again I'm confused! Have you tested this (contempt is meaningless)?

Contempt isn't used with NNUE for sure... but it is used when the engine decides to use Classical evaluation and it was proven to be useful