LC0 as an IDeA engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

LC0 as an IDeA engine

Post by Werewolf »

LC0 (Big Net in case you were wondering) works fine in Aquarium as an analysis engine, but not as an IDeA engine. It just doesn't start.

Does anyone know why and if something can be done to change it?
yanquis1972

Re: LC0 as an IDeA engine

Post by yanquis1972 »

maybe idea is coded to the CPU? only reason i can think of if it works in the GUI
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

I think it must be to do with the way the engine and the GUI communicate. Perhaps an IDeA engine needs to send / receive an extra instruction to start?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 pm LC0 (Big Net in case you were wondering) works fine in Aquarium as an analysis engine, but not as an IDeA engine. It just doesn't start.

Does anyone know why and if something can be done to change it?
I have heard in some setups, picochess comes to mind, that the weights file must be placed in the directory as the GUI ( or pseudo GUI in the case of picochess). Not sure if that's the fix for you or not.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

The engine works fine in this GUI (Aquarium, Sandbox) so there’s nothing exceptional about the way it works, but for some reason it just doesn’t get started in IDeA.

Maybe there’s some kind of timeout issue perhaps.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

For IDeA to build its tree properly, the engine used must support "Exclude Move".
Marek Soszynski
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Marek Soszynski wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:00 am For IDeA to build its tree properly, the engine used must support "Exclude Move".
Thank you.

For now then there's no way of using LC0 I think.
Hai

Post by Hai »

You should write to the developers to implement “exclude move” option.
They can do it after the “ponder on” option is ready.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Hai wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:27 pm You should write to the developers to implement “exclude move” option.
They can do it after the “ponder on” option is ready.
Do you have a contact email? I've looked on their pages but can't see an obvious one
crem

Post by crem »

Werewolf wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 pm
Do you have a contact email? I've looked on their pages but can't see an obvious one
The best is to open an issue on github here: https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/issues
And possibly ping SashaMN directly, who implemented similar functionality (searchmoves) here: https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0/pull/40