Introducing Igel chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Re: Introducing Igel chess engine

Post by Chessqueen »

AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm
voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 pm That is a very low NPS: only between 10k and 30k nodes per second.

I wonder what is NPS of other engines on this machine? Perhaps good strategy to improve it would be to run Igel ARM64 natively on macOS and calculate the base NPS there?

I have only Igel 2.90 native on M1 (compiled by Acepoint) if you could compile 3.00 I'll be very happy. Also hsriver's natively compiled Igel 3.00 NNUE on Linux ARM64 is much faster (1600-2000-3000 knps)

It is fighting against Cfish. Nice game! Note my custom Igel icon :D
Alex, Hai quasi installato igel sul tuo computer, congratulazioni, Igel ti piacerà moltissimo. è un programma di scacchi molto forte :roll:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Much better, it is faster than CFISH!!! (on Arena). Flag corrected, sorry :D

Restarted the tournament 15+15 with neon, but result was already good 2 points / 6 .. If you optimize it I restart the Active 30, no problem with Arena, and the last added is the more played engine.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:29 pm
AlexChess wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm
voffka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 pm That is a very low NPS: only between 10k and 30k nodes per second.

I wonder what is NPS of other engines on this machine? Perhaps good strategy to improve it would be to run Igel ARM64 natively on macOS and calculate the base NPS there?

I have only Igel 2.90 native on M1 (compiled by Acepoint) if you could compile 3.00 I'll be very happy. Also hsriver's natively compiled Igel 3.00 NNUE on Linux ARM64 is much faster (1600-2000-3000 knps)

It is fighting against Cfish. Nice game! Note my custom Igel icon :D
Alex, Hai quasi installato igel sul tuo computer, congratulazioni, Igel ti piacerà moltissimo. è un programma di scacchi molto forte :roll:
Si e funziona pure benissimo!!!! Yes, and it works stable and fast!
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Thank you and congratulations to the Igel 3.0.0 NNUE Ukrainian team!

Endgame against Cfish.. Also Syzygy 6-man tablebases work fine!

You are our hope to write new strong chess algorithms to compete against Stockfish & derivates, together with few other programs (Komodo Dragon, Pedone 3.0, SlowChess 2.5, Fire 8, Gogobello 3.0 and Ethereal, if Andy Grant returns) . I like Stockfish but it also needs strong indipendent competitors to become better.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Hello Alex,
AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 am [...] Much better, it is faster than CFISH!!! (on Arena). [...]
Glad to see it is faster, I was having some doubts as the NEON code did not compile well on Visual Studio, so I had to do some blind hacks as I could not test.

Regarding the overall setup you have, I am wondering why having an added layer of virtualization (e.g. a virtual machine with Windows ARM64) if you can run your tourneys natively on macOS M1 chip? I think the performance should be even better for native run. Is it because Arena only runs on Windows?
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

voffka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:17 am Hello Alex,
AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 am [...] Much better, it is faster than CFISH!!! (on Arena). [...]
Glad to see it is faster, I was having some doubts as the NEON code did not compile well on Visual Studio, so I had to do some blind hacks as I could not test.

Regarding the overall setup you have, I am wondering why having an added layer of virtualization (e.g. a virtual machine with Windows ARM64) if you can run your tourneys natively on macOS M1 chip? I think the performance should be even better for native run. Is it because Arena only runs on Windows?
Yes, Martin Blume doesn't update/compile it for other platforms anymore and because not all the strong engines are available on macOS M1 and Ubuntu ARM64 (Raubfish, Fisherov, Dark Horse, Night Nurse, Eman, Alpha subzero, Killfish, Zeus, AI-chess: no sources to compile availables) and Arena lets me to add/update/remove the engines during a tournament without losing previous results and updating all automatically.

If you could compile Igel 3.0.0 Neon also for macOS M1 native, I'll be very happy. I alternate the tests on all 3 operating systems using Arena (Win) , BanksiaGUI (Mac) and Cutechess (Ubuntu ARM64)

Finally I can test also Igel 3.0.0 NNUE against them on Windows :D
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:50 pm
If you could compile Igel 3.0.0 Neon also for macOS M1 native, I'll be very happy. I alternate the tests on all 3 operating systems using Arena (Win) , BanksiaGUI (Mac) and Cutechess (Ubuntu ARM64)
It is an interesting challenge because I have no Apple devices. I will see what I can do.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:50 pm I alternate the tests on all 3 operating systems using Arena (Win) , BanksiaGUI (Mac) and Cutechess (Ubuntu ARM64)
You have a complicated life !
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Modern Times wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:59 pm
AlexChess wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:50 pm I alternate the tests on all 3 operating systems using Arena (Win) , BanksiaGUI (Mac) and Cutechess (Ubuntu ARM64)
You have a complicated life !
I like challenges :D