CCRL and new engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Greg Strong

CCRL and new engines

Post by Greg Strong »

Hello,

I've been eagerly watching the CCRL ratings list to see how Komodo 12.1 (regular and MCTS) do, as well as the new Fire 7.1, but nothing yet :(

Can anyone say if testing is underway? If no one has been able to get to it yet, please let me know if I can help. I have fairly significant hardware at my disposal and experience running tournaments with cutechess-cli.

Thanks,
Greg
Graham Banks

Re: CCRL and new engines

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Greg,

see the latest update report and lists.
If you're keen to become a CCRL tester, email me.

Check these 40/40 lists to see Fire 7.1 and Komodo 12.
There are similar lists for 40/4.

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... ons_only=1

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... ons_only=1

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Modern Times

Re: CCRL and new engines

Post by Modern Times »

Greg Strong wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:13 am Hello,

I've been eagerly watching the CCRL ratings list to see how Komodo 12.1 (regular and MCTS) do, as well as the new Fire 7.1, but nothing yet :(
There are some games there as has been pointed out above, but due to the volume of new engines and engine versions it can take a while for them to get on the list.

In terms of Komodo - personally I tend to test every second version or thereabouts, because with the law of diminishing returns on these top engines the gains from new versions are getting smaller and smaller. If the claimed gain is less then the statistical error margins, if you don't have unlimited CPU capacity then you have to question if it is worth the CPU resource or not. For FRC, the last version on that list is in fact 11.2.1. There is a 70 Elo gap to the next engine (Houdini) so at the moment there is not a lot to be achieved by testing Komodo 12, although I am thinking about it and may still do it. Sometimes FRC does spring surprises.