NUCLEUS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: NUCLEUS

Post by peter »

Hi!
carldaman wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:32 am I'm with you on this, Peter. To me, it makes little sense to have a master engine that's not that strong as the final arbiter of what move gets selected. What makes more sense to me is having a top engine, maybe one that possibly prunes too much, like SF, as the master, and two slaves, at least one of which is imaginative and speculative, that can feed some juicy ideas that the master may not consider on its own. Then the master can have the final say -- for this a weaker master would be counterproductive, imo.
Just my pov.
I'd like to have Houdini6.03 Tactical1, komodo 12 with switched off nullmove (if I know it to be a study) and wild Dynamism, King Safety and Contempt, together with asmFish as master.

Now, It's Ferdy's, or Robert's and Mark's turn. (If Ferdinand Mosca doesn't make the engines UCI- adaptable, Mr. Houdart and Mr. Lefler just have to give versions of their engines with by default switched on tactical settings to their customers)
:)

P.S. A tactical setting of Ronald de Man's CFish, like "RomeoA23" builded some, would be fun too.
Or Sting for the studies or MateFinder or...
I'll have to have lot's of different Nuclei soon, I see.
Peter.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

peter wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 am Hi!
carldaman wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:32 am I'm with you on this, Peter. To me, it makes little sense to have a master engine that's not that strong as the final arbiter of what move gets selected. What makes more sense to me is having a top engine, maybe one that possibly prunes too much, like SF, as the master, and two slaves, at least one of which is imaginative and speculative, that can feed some juicy ideas that the master may not consider on its own. Then the master can have the final say -- for this a weaker master would be counterproductive, imo.
Just my pov.
I'd like to have Houdini6.03 Tactical1, komodo 12 with switched off nullmove (if I know it to be a study) and wild Dynamism, King Safety and Contempt, together with asmFish as master.

Now, It's Ferdy's, or Robert's and Mark's turn. (If Ferdinand Mosca doesn't make the engines UCI- adaptable, Mr. Houdart and Mr. Lefler just have to give versions of their engines with by default switched on tactical settings to their customers)

P.S. A tactical setting of Ronald de Man's CFish, like "RomeoA23" builded some, would be fun too.
Or Sting for the studies or MateFinder or...
I'll have to have lot's of different Nuclei soon, I see.
Is there an output log of all the nuclei to see what ProDeo is selecting? This may help choose the best pair of engines for slave1 and slave2
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Kirk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm Is there an output log of all the nuclei to see what ProDeo is selecting? This may help choose the best pair of engines for slave1 and slave2
Haven't worked with Nucleus much lately, still pondering about which new GPU to choose.

If I already had a new one, I'd try probably mainly Leela and a second one NN- Engine (Alli?) or a second one network together with SF, or a tactically tuned SF- branch instead of the second one NN, of course again with SF too.
But I think, which engines to chose might depend on positions you want to let them play or analyse mainly.

Wanting to know that for certain positions, I'd still prefer letting run the engines in question on their own and look at the outputs over the time.
Peter.