cutechess-cli?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fierz

cutechess-cli?

Post by fierz »

I just tried using cutechess-cli to run a gauntlet match with my engine, and while it seems to work, I was surprised that I couldn't find any kind of final result of the match anywhere. Did I miss an option, or do I really need to parse the pgn file of the match to get statistics of the match?
pferd

Re: cutechess-cli?

Post by pferd »

fierz

Post by fierz »

pferd wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 pm Maybe you are affected by this?

https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/issues/366
Actually no, I get output to the console, or with "> output.txt" or similar I get it into a file, but I get a large file with the statistics in the end instead of just statistics in one file, I was wondering if it was possible to get a statistics file without all the other output inside?

BTW, is cutechess-cli the best tool for playing engine matches, or is there anything else that is easier/better than cutechess-cli?
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

Can you post the output you get from cutechess-cli and the commandline you are using?

for me cutechess is the best for playing tournaments
fierz

Post by fierz »

elcabesa wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:49 pm Can you post the output you get from cutechess-cli and the commandline you are using?

for me cutechess is the best for playing tournaments
Sure, cutechess command line:

d:\programme\cutechess\cutechess-cli -engine conf=Muse -engine conf=Anmon -engine conf=Hermann -engine conf=Ruffian -engine conf=SOS -engine conf=Fruit -engine conf=Maverick -engine conf=Laser -engine conf=Zurichess -engine conf=Cheese -engine conf=Djinn -each tc=40/0:10+0.1 -tournament gauntlet -games 100 -draw movenumber=160 movecount=20 score=5 -resign movecount=5 score=500 -rounds 1 -repeat -openings file=d:\programme\arena_3.5.1\nunn.pgn order=sequential -concurrency 4 -pgnout d:\programme\cutechess\gauntlet.pgn >d:\programme\cutechess\gauntletlog.txt

output in the gauntletlog.txt file:

Started game 1 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Started game 2 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
Started game 3 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Started game 4 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
Finished game 1 (Muse vs Anmon): 0-1 {Black wins by adjudication}
Started game 5 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Finished game 3 (Muse vs Anmon): 0-1 {Black wins by adjudication}
Started game 6 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
Finished game 2 (Anmon vs Muse): 0-1 {Black wins by adjudication}
Started game 7 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Finished game 4 (Anmon vs Muse): 1-0 {White wins by adjudication}
Started game 8 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
Finished game 5 (Muse vs Anmon): 1-0 {White wins by adjudication}
Started game 9 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Finished game 7 (Muse vs Anmon): 1/2-1/2 {Draw by 3-fold repetition}
Started game 10 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
Finished game 6 (Anmon vs Muse): 1/2-1/2 {Draw by insufficient mating material}
Started game 11 of 320 (Muse vs Anmon)
Finished game 8 (Anmon vs Muse): 0-1 {Black wins by adjudication}
Started game 12 of 320 (Anmon vs Muse)
... (snipped)

Rank Name Elo +/- Games Score Draws
0 Muse -22 34 320 46.9% 21.9%
1 Fruit 137 108 40 68.8% 17.5%
2 Laser 108 99 40 65.0% 25.0%
3 Zurichess 98 104 40 63.7% 17.5%
4 Ruffian 9 100 40 51.2% 17.5%
5 Hermann -17 99 40 47.5% 20.0%
6 Anmon -17 96 40 47.5% 25.0%
7 Maverick -26 94 40 46.3% 27.5%
8 SOS -108 99 40 35.0% 25.0%
Finished match

I'd rather have just the last table instead of the large amount of output above, is that possible somehow?
pferd

Post by pferd »

Add -ratinginterval N to your command line. It will print the table after every N games.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

fierz wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm BTW, is cutechess-cli the best tool for playing engine matches, or is there anything else that is easier/better than cutechess-cli?
Cute Chess GUI. You get a tournament table dynamically updated after each game, as well as Elo stats. This is accessed from the Tournament menu -> Results.

Here is a 64-bit dev build from March 28: link.
There was a commit later in April but nothing important from the user's point of view.
fierz

Post by fierz »

tpoppins wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 am
fierz wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm BTW, is cutechess-cli the best tool for playing engine matches, or is there anything else that is easier/better than cutechess-cli?
Cute Chess GUI. You get a tournament table dynamically updated after each game, as well as Elo stats. This is accessed from the Tournament menu -> Results.

There was a commit later in April but nothing important from the user's point of view.
I also have installed cutechess, but I don't see the nice "concurrency" option anywhere there - that appears like a big drawback?
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

fierz wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:28 pm
tpoppins wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:59 am

I also have installed cutechess, but I don't see the nice "concurrency" option anywhere there - that appears like a big drawback?
Choose Tools->Settings->Tournaments Tab and set 'Maximum number of concurrent games' to your needs.
Jörg Oster
fierz

Post by fierz »

Thanks for all the tips!

I got it working with concurrency in the GUI, and also with the -ratinginterval N command I get to see more output in the command line interface version.

I have one more question: I'm running a gauntlet match of my engine against 9 opponents, using "work1.pgn" (from Ed Schröder) as opening database; work1.pgn contains 500 20-ply games. I would like each opening to be played twice with colors reversed between the opponents; and I would also ideally like to have each opening be played 9 times for each of the opponents - so say first 9 games with opening 1 with my engine white, then 9 games with opening 1 with my engine black etc (Arena used to work like that, but Arena doesn't support concurrency I think). However, so far I have been unable to do this, I can't even get cutechess to run the same opening twice with colors reversed even though I have -repeat in the command line.

Is there anything wrong with my command line?

c:\code\arena\cutechess\cutechess-cli -engine conf=Muse -engine conf=Anmon -engine conf=Hermann -engine conf=Ruffian -engine conf=SOS -engine conf=Fruit -engine conf=Maverick -engine conf=Laser -engine conf=Zurichess -engine conf=Cheese -each tc=40/1:00 -tournament gauntlet -games 1 -event musegauntlet -draw movenumber=60 movecount=20 score=5 -resign movecount=10 score=500 -rounds 100 -repeat -openings file=C:\code\arena\EdSchoederStartingPositions\work1.pgn order=sequential -concurrency 4 -pgnout c:\code\arena\cutechess\gauntlet.pgn -ratinginterval 10 >c:\code\arena\cutechess\gauntletlog.txt

Does it make any difference if I use -games 100 and -rounds 1 instead of -games 1 and -rounds 100?